A trip to the Cheese Factory


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia
April 18th 2009
Published: May 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We need to check with the railway for information on times and prices for the train to Venice, so we took advantage of a run Luigi was making to Codroipo. After finding out the train times, we visited another pharmacy here for yet another attempt to find something to deal with my allergies. I have kind of given up hope finding anything over the counter here that works. It would seem that things that we buy at the pharmacy in Canada require a trip to the doctor and a prescription here, so we may end up just getting some stuff sent from home.
After the pharmacy, we caught up with Luigi again and on the way back to Flaibano, he stopped off at the cheese factory where he takes the farm's milk. Here we were treated to a behind the scene impromptu tour. It was interesting to have now seen the whole process from the planting the corn for the cows, to the cows being milked, to the milk being turned into cheese. Somehow it, the whole process of cheese production seemed less mysterious now, though I am sure that an immense amount of science and experience that goes into it.

The manager at the cheese factory kindly gave Evy a large bag of cheese curds which we use that night to make Frico, a local dish featuring potatoes and cheese, for dinner. (Unfortunately it doesn't turn out as well as we have tasted elsewhere.)

Back at the farm for lunch, we checked our email and we had heard from Evy's friend Tsetsie who lives near Grenoble. She had kindly got some information for us on places to stay nearby her so we can begin looking at this next leg of the journey.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb