Dinner with Zia Lucine's family


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia
April 9th 2009
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Joshua seems to really be enjoying his bicycle and small town freedom. This morning he headed off and bought the bread for breakfast, Though armed with a few words in Friulano, the store people thought he was german and with some effort in English on their part, he complete the transaction.

After breakfast we took a bike ride to the town cemetery and found the graves of Evy's grandmother and grandfather along with many other relatives. Graveyards here seem to all be walled and gated. They are relatively small and tightly packed with graves, so much so that they tend to dig up the graves after 25 years and intern the bones, freeing the plot for another arrival. Despite this, both these graves were still there though more than 25 years has past.

After this, we made a tour of the towns stores, stopping at the butchers and pharmacy before heading home for an afternoon of school work.

Earlier in the week, we had been invited to Luigino & Michaela's place for dinner. Loretta picked us up and we stopped at her house for a moment before heading down the street to her brother's place for dinner. We helped aunt Lucine, Evy's second oldest aunt, over from next door. Aunt Lucine survived the earthquake in this area back in 1976 but was blinded in one eye when her house was damaged. Italy has just suffered another major quake over the weekend and so I am sure that people in this area are having memories of this event rekindled.

Luca and Marco (Aunt Luncine's grandsons) and Benjamin and Joshua all got comfortable playing soccer in the yard before dinner.

At dinner we had this whole side of the family including Loretta and Renato (parents of Mara and Marco), as well as Luigino and Michaela and their children Francesca and Luca. We had a wonderful meal and it was a great way to get to know this part of the family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb