Visiting the South African Cousins and a trip to Cividale


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia » Udine
April 26th 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today marks the eight month point in our journey. Evy's cousin Laura picked us up at the farm this morning and drove us to Luciano and Teresa's house for a BBQ. Their house is recently built and next to a large field that was bright yellow with the crop of canola planted there. Here we also were joined by Evy's cousin Fausto and Barbara as well as their baby girl, Alice who is just getting over the chickenpox. Evy's poor cousin Robbie, who also managed to get the chickenpox, was quarantined to the kitchen as we are not sure if Joshua has been innoculated against them or not.

While Luciano barbecued, Joshua, Benjamin, their cousin Simone, and the dog, Brick, played in the large yard. We had a great dinner, the first barbaque that we have had in months, before heading out in the cars to tour the nearby village of Cividale.
The town of Cividale, which dates back to medieval times, had a large market going on and made for interesting browsing. Legend has it that the town bridge was build by the devil in exchange for the soul of the first to cross. The town people sent a cat across, denying Satan of his intent but meeting the words of the agreement. It is said that you can see the shape of this cat in the water below the bridge.

In another part of Cividale, we found the entrance to a funeral chamber dating back to pre-Roman Celtic times. Though empty, the caves had a spooky feeling about them and rudimentary shapes of faces were carved in the rocks in places.

After our tour of Cividale, we returned to Teresa and Luciano's house to say goodbye before he drove us home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb