Trip is Winding Down


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia » Aviano
August 27th 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
After leaving Bled, we visited the Triglav National Park in N.W. Slovenia. The drive into the mountains had 50 hairpin curves that overlooked a beautiful gorge. The road was built during WWI by 10,000 Russian POW's.
We decided to stay in a sobe in the small village of Ciginj that night. The couple who owned it, also operated a paragliding adventure business. Speaking of sobes, all of the owners have been so nice and gracious. One elderly widow in Croatia, brought us a bowl of freshly picked figs and big purple grapes. She didn't speak a word of English, but we still managed to communicate.
We turned our rental car in at Rijeka, Croatia. There was going to be an extra charge of a few hundred dollars if we took it to Italy. The only train of the day to Trieste had already left when we arrived, so we bought bus tickets. While we were waiting for our bus, a pigeon pooped all over Walt's jeans. We used the last of our wet wipes and hand sanitizer to clean this yucky mess. A Macedonian cop that was seating by me said that his countrymen believe this brings you good luck. I told him that I don't want that kind of luck!
When we got to Trieste, Italy, we had 10 minutes to buy a ticket and get on a train to Pordenone. Walt's good luck helped us to make it. The Italian train was modern, quiet, and nice. We caught a taxi to the Aviano Air Force Base's gate. The guards called for a car to pick us up and take us to the visitors' quarters. The base has a brand new first class lodge with roomy suites. A flight to Baltimore with 60 seats will be leaving on Wednesday morning. If a seat is available, we will be on that flight and home by the weekend. This will be my last journal entry.
Thanks for all of your positive comments and e-mails. I am sorry that I haven't always had time to answer you back. This is by far, the easiest way to stay in touch with friends and family.
Take care,
Everette

Advertisement



27th August 2007

hi
Everette, you do an extraordinary job of making everyone feel like they're traveling with you and Walt. Tom and I have really enjoyed your blogs and appreciate you for the time you have taken to do so. I'm glad to know someone that's so adventurous.
17th January 2008

Hi
Sandy, I hope Bobby got home safely from Iraq. Where is he going to be stationed next? Thanks for writing. E

Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb