Sorrento Scenes


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
October 1st 2013
Published: October 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We decided we needed a down day after yesterday, so spent some time today getting our bearings and exploring Sorrento. Checked a couple of things off our to-do list, including visiting I Giardini Di Cataldo, a family-owned lemon grove and limoncello "factory"--a bit of a misnomer, since everything is done by hand--right in the heart of Sorrento. We also did the required visit to the main piazza and to the duomo (main church), which contained an amazing paper mâché "nativity scene". I put that in quotes because it was huge and displayed a complete medieval village in amazing detail, with the usual manger scene being just a small part of the display.

Eventually we found our way to the narrow pedestrian streets off the Piazza Tasso, which cater to the tourists, with shops galore, cafes, gelaterias, bars, etc...and of course, hordes of tourists. Still it was nice to be away the crazy car traffic of the main thoroughfares for awhile, and it was down one of these little streets that we found our new "go to" gelateria, Davide--fantastic stuff! We also found a deli and bought some yummy things, then returned to our balcony for lunch with a view.

Later we climbed down to the Marina Grande (and then back up), which we can see from our room. We discovered the Sorrentine paradox: Marina Grande is actually the smaller of the two harbors in town, a real working fishing port, while Marina Piccolo ("small") is quite large and is where the ferries, jet boats, and cruise ship tenders dock.

We ended the day with wine on our deck at sunset, then a late dinner at about 9 pm, Italian style. All of us agreed that this slower paced, schedule-less day was just what we all needed!

Sandy: GOOD THING--Figuring out the Italian laundromat system and getting my laundry done. BAD THING--Too many tourists in Sorrento!

Dave: GOOD THING-- Cheerful Pasquale, one of the owners of the I Giardini Di Cataldo, who led our limoncello factory tour. BAD THING--Disappointing dinner at an anticipated restaurant (Zi'ntonio)

Sharon: GOOD THING--having a down day to wander around Sorrento and discovering Davide gelato. BAD THING-- Traffic and huge tour groups everywhere--don't they know this is supposed to be the "off-season"?!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Caution Sign At Intersection of Two Main StreetsCaution Sign At Intersection of Two Main Streets
Caution Sign At Intersection of Two Main Streets

Repeats in multiple languages...but no one seems to heed the warning...
Right Next to the Caution Sign is the Local HospitalRight Next to the Caution Sign is the Local Hospital
Right Next to the Caution Sign is the Local Hospital

The juxtaposition never failed to elicit a wry laugh from us...
One of Several Dali Sculptures Around TownOne of Several Dali Sculptures Around Town
One of Several Dali Sculptures Around Town

Part of an exhibit of Dali's work on display in a Palazzo in town. Loved this shot with kids from adjacent school using it as a reading spot.
Tavern Scene, Section of Nativity SceneTavern Scene, Section of Nativity Scene
Tavern Scene, Section of Nativity Scene

Amazing detail and expressive figures
Tavern Scene.2Tavern Scene.2
Tavern Scene.2

The tiny food looks so real!
Sculpture of Sorrentine Poet TorquatoTasso...Sculpture of Sorrentine Poet TorquatoTasso...
Sculpture of Sorrentine Poet TorquatoTasso...

...in the main Piazza which bears his name.
Piazza As Giant RoundaboutPiazza As Giant Roundabout
Piazza As Giant Roundabout

Unlike most main piazzas we saw, this one was an open traffic circle, surrounded by cafes and a little bit of green park. Later we found that it is closed to traffic on holidays and other special occasions.
Pasquale Explains It All To UsPasquale Explains It All To Us
Pasquale Explains It All To Us

He is one of the cousins in the family, currently running the operation.
First Step in Limoncello MakingFirst Step in Limoncello Making
First Step in Limoncello Making

It's all about choosing the best organic lemons from their groves, then processing them the same day they're picked.
Then Patiently Peeling Them By Hand...Then Patiently Peeling Them By Hand...
Then Patiently Peeling Them By Hand...

...so you don't include any of the white part of the rind.
Soak the Peels in Alcohol (97%)Soak the Peels in Alcohol (97%)
Soak the Peels in Alcohol (97%)

Then add sugar. That's it!
The Good Stuff!The Good Stuff!
The Good Stuff!

You can really tell the difference, believe it or not.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb