DAY 44 NAPLES-SORRENTO


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
June 28th 2023
Published: June 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Waited for the hoards to depart for the 'pose' shot ... arrival in Sorrento.
Travel. Travelling. It does have you learning about yourself … what you prefer … for me, it’s the wide-open spaces of red dirt, spinifex plains, corrugated tracks and white, sandy beaches of Australia … compared to the hoards of people on narrow close-up roads, noise, continual vehicular traffic and having to pay to have swim.

Dragging a small suitcase each across uneven, cobble footpaths, the 10-minute walk to the Naples Central Railway Station took us through many hundreds of ‘newly arrived’ Africans, ¾ or more being men. The women were gathered separately. Police and immigration were everywhere.

The station was packed on all levels and eventually after negotiating our way through the throng we found our platform with not a minute to spare. We barged our way onto a crowded carriage as the train began to move off. We stood with our luggage for about 4 stops before jumping into two vacated seats. It was then, people watching! The noise was thunderous as crazy, young Italians spoke over each other continually. It was if they were performing.

We alighted from the train onto the Sorrento platform with the hoard that we were part of, making our way to

View to the hillside from our balcony.
a small café for a cool drink and fresh air. Recovered, it was a short walk to our accommodation, Sorrento Coastal Suites and Apartments, where we were met by the owner, Giovanni. Everything is immaculate.

A half hour later we were out the door, heading for Piazza Tasso and “The Steps” that would take us to the pier on Marina Piccola. We walked to the end, looking across at Sorrento and cliff-rock landform on which it is built. Spectacular. It was quite warm by now so shaded walking was paramount as was resting on benches letting the breeze flow over our sweaty bodies. As this was only a reconnaissance, we took the boardwalks to the various tourist packed swimming areas such as Peters Beach and Leonelli’s Beach. To avoid disappointment, one must book a beach slot in advance costing about 20 euro. Hopefully the photos are clear to illustrate my point. Not our scene.

Took the lift to the top and into Piazza Tasso for a late drink and bruschetta lunch before heading back for a cold shower. It took a few hours of R&R before we headed out to sample the atmosphere of the evening. Restaurants, bars

Sorrento Coast Suits and Apartment. We are floor 4.
and cafes were abuzz. The traffic was humming with scooters speeding along ridden by all types. Footpaths were chokka's with people out for meals of just enjoying the atmosphere. We settled for a small icecream (true), a small coffee (true) and brought quite a bit of fruit (true) for the next few days.

A good evening to round out a full-on day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Via L. De Maio. We made our way down "The Steps" to walk along the right hand side to Marina Piccola and the Pier.


Looking up at "The Steps".


Walking along Via L. De Maio.


Looking towards Excelsior Vittoria hotel.


Rock cliff faces looking south.


Looking north from Marina Piccola.


Strong protection looking north.


Strong protection looking south.


Marina Piccola.


Looking north.




Looking south towards Peter Beach.


"Now where did I park my scooter?"


Peter Beach. To enter here, a 20 Euro fee was payable!


Leonelli's Beach.




Atop the cliff face looking north over Peter Beach and Marina Piccola.


Leonelli's Beach below.


The pose ... been there, done that.


Overview.


The bride and groom departed in this VW.


29th June 2023

Beaches..
No need to cart your umbrella and 'stuff' there. Just turn up and pay. Enjoy!!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb