Pompeii


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
September 8th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we signed up for a crew tour and visited the ruins of Pompeii.
From the second you enter the site you know its going to be something different, as parts of it have been restored but most of it is original, right down to the slates on the roofs and the paint on the walls. Its somewhere I'd always heard about and never thought I would go, so to actually walk round it was amazing. The whole city is pretty much intact, with the exceptions of the roofs, so you can walk down the streets and see all the houses, shops, public facilities etc and see how similiar it is to todays cities. We even saw the Roman version of Mcdonalds and a whore house (complete with oversize willy's on the outside). Even little things like their roads, where they had to flood them once a day to clean them, are complete with the stepping stones they put in place so you could cross the road when it was flooded, but the grooves in the middle are the right size for the carts they used to use.
The bathouse is still fully intact, complete with roof, mosaics and changing rooms. You get a real idea of what it was like to be around at that time. Some of the plaster casts that they made of the people were on display. Romans were bloody small, thats why the buildings look so impressive in frescos, because romans seem to be shorter than us. The question I had while I was there was 'if you live in a great city like this, with this amazing weather, why on earth would you want to invade somewhere like england with all our rain' asif the romans said 'Im fed up of this heat and great food, what I really want is some drizzle and some lamb. Not scotland though, those guys are too weird'.
The final section we were lead through was the amphitheatre, which had different sections depending on where you were in society, so the most important men at the front, single men and married men behind them, and women up in the sky almost.
The only problem with the day was I think my SD card messed up and Im missing half of my photos, but Iv still got some and have attached a couple on here. The rest may turn up, but even if they dont Iv still got the memory of an awesome day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb