Day 47: Roma To Pompeii Via Cassino


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
April 20th 2011
Published: April 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

While sad to leave Rome it was time to head further south to Pompei via Cassino to fulfill a promise to Pam’s dad to visit Bill Inglis grave in the war Cemetery. Bill was one of the many that gave their live in the Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944 so that we now may live in freedom and peace. It was quite moving being there and until you see the huge amount of NZ and other allies’ headstones it is difficult to conceive just how many lost their lives. The cemetery is kept in beautiful condition, with the grounds maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A register is kept in the south shelter available for the public to use. The register contains an accurate record of those interred at the cemetery, and their location. A visitors book is kept with the register.

Seeing snow still in the hills above Cassino was quite a sight and we drove up the hills behind to get some photos of the view and surrounding mountains. Onwards and ever heading south we arrived at Pompeii around 5pm to the camp ground only to find we may only be able to get two nights here as Easter is upon us and they are booked out, Will let you know what happens. Tomorrow we are off to see the Greek Pompeii ruins and visit Mt Vesuvius. Hopefully the day after we are off to the Amalfi Coast and the Island of Capri, some 20 mins off the coast of Sorrento.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb