Pompeii & Herculaneum


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
September 11th 2019
Published: September 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Ilaria and Antonia picked us up at 8am for our journey to Pompeii. Pompeii had been a port town in ancient times and was destroyed progressively over about 3 days of volcanic action. We went past the ancient rock tombs and into the theatre, bathhouse, House of Menander, brothel and city square.

After a 20 minute drive, we arrived at Sorrentino winery for lunch. We had courses with matching wines, starting with a sparkling white wine, then an antipasto platter with a flat white, a light red and then a heavier red with spaghetti with Napoletano sauce and dessert was a pound cake with apricot sauce.

Herculaneum was a short drive and had been destroyed quickly in a cataclysmic eruption, where the town was buried with mud and lava. As we approached the entrance, we could see the arches which had been on the coastline, where bodies had piled up from people with nowhere to escape to. We walked through the town looking at the mosaic floors and wall paintings in the villas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



16th September 2019

Pompeii &Herculaneum
Great to see you are back on air. Enjoying sharing your travels.Great commentary and photos.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb