DAY 42 NAPLES


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
June 27th 2023
Published: June 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post


"Come on. Take the photo. We haven't got all day." (We did)
Organised chaos.

It has totally amazed me that I did NOT witness: one vehicle prang, a scooter or motorcycle rider being hit, a pedestrian being run over, road rage, a parking ticket being issued, a car chase, police issuing fines … What I DID witness went against everything I had been taught and adhere to about road safety … It goes against my grain but today I witnessed organised chaos working … however it scared-the-crap-out-of-me. I experienced it firsthand, walking the streets, riding on a hop-on-hop-of bus, crossing roads using a pedestrian crossing. There is constant movement at speed. There is constant noise … no escape from it. For the uninitiated such as myself, being Awake Aware Alert, had the senses working overtime.

It was damn hot today, so exploring the city was challenging. Jane coped well considering she is still not at the top of her game. We kept our liquid intake high.

Where we are staying is very different to anything we’ve stayed in before. Access to our accommodation is either via 5 flight of stairs or a cage lift of early 1900 vintage operated by 0.20 Euro coin. There is no one to seek advice

Part of Piazza Garibaldi.
from. We have the room/apartment and that’s it. As mentioned previously, the facility is immaculately clean and new. We are left to our own devices which has its advantages and its disadvantages. Hence, our resilience must come to the fore.

The coastline is glorious. The breeze was welcomed. The craziness of drivers was less evident too.

The Napoletano’s are still basking in the glory of their soccer team winning the Serie A Championship of 2022/23 season. Their previous win was in 1990 with Diego Maradona playing for them. Blue and white streamers and flags still adorn streets, house windows, statues, and shop fronts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Maschio Angioino castle.



Apart from people congregating on the road, an orderly street.


Streamers still adorn streets celebrating the Serie A win.



A quiet street scene.


Old buildings still operating in a modern time.




All riders at work.


Galleria Umberto.


Refugee vendors endeavouring to make a living.


Ancient ruins discovered next to Maschio Angioino castle.



Through the tunnel to the coast.




Coast side building ... the more wealthy section of Naples.


Magic view from road above the foreshore.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb