Day 28 - The Amalfie Coast - and new friends


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
November 6th 2013
Published: November 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yay, the onboard weather was wrong - and Pasquale was right! The weather is glorious here. An early start and enjoyed a beautiful breakfast at our amazing accommodation in the hills. Met Joan (73) and Clark (81) from Washington. True travellers. Decided to head off together so our host Pasquale aka George Clooney, guitar and piano player and singer, best driver in all of Italy (and all that other stuff he told us!) drove us into town for our Sita bus ride to the Amalfie Coast. And what a ride! We really loved it (just return journey eur7 each) but the trip wasn't for the light-hearted as you travel fairly close to the edge, almost all the way, not to mention that you actually have to pass other vehicles including buses on the 'lane' roads. Roy and I walked from Ravello to Amalfie (just because we could) and experienced almost every type of surface over the one hour walk but at least it was all down hill and very interesting, ending up coming out through the narrow lanes where people have their doorways. Thanks to whomever marked the ground with large white arrows (which we managed to follow and another couple we met during the day did not). There were fabulous ceramic shops (as there are all along the Amalfie Coast) and we visited, in Ravello, the beautiful Villa Cimbrone gardens. Unfortunately we ran out of time to do Positano (which is a must for me) so hopefully our luck will hold out regarding the weather (Pasquale, aka God, tells us it will be fine again tomorrow, despite a not so good forecast). We returned to Sorrento (not nearly such an exciting bus trip in the dark) and decided on dinner at Il Leone Rosso (recommended by Pasquale) and were just about to order when Joan and Clark walked in the door. Had a delicious dinner, with great company and the ristorante owner rang Pasquale who came and picked us up for the drive up the hill. The Amalfie Coast! Wow! What can I say - you just have to experience it for yourself.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb