Easter Weekend


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Abruzzo » Lanciano
April 24th 2011
Published: April 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Buona Pasque, Happy Easter!
It’s been a busy few days here in Lanciano where they do Easter in a BIG way! It began Thursday evening with the parade of men, covered from head to foot in black and wearing medallions displaying a skull and cross bones. One man, the penitent man as I explained last week, walks barefoot in the midst of them bearing a cross. Another group of four men carry a platform with another cross which bears a skull and crossbones. They all carry gigantic candles and the lights on the streets they walk down are turned out and everyone turns out the lights in their houses so the centre of the town is in almost complete darkness. It’s very eerie and so medieval.

Another parade takes place on Friday with children and women participating. This one is earlier in the evening so you can see more of it. The participants carry more platforms that depict the stages of the cross.

Today, Sunday, is a day of celebration of course and everyone is out walking the corso dressed in their best clothes and bands are playing cheerful music as opposed to the dirges they played on Thursday and Friday. We are celebrating this evening with an Easter dinner – turkey, prime rib and of course a few pasta dishes as well as some delicious desserts.

Yesterday Debbie, George and I went to the beach again because it was a beautiful sunny day. We indulged in a glass of wine at a seaside cafe and lay on the beach for a while reading and napping. I thought of everyone at home in the miserable weather you’ve been having and wished you all could be here with me!

Tomorrow is a half day at school and, if the weather holds, we will be taking the students to the beach again – because we can😊

On Thursday I am off to Rhodes Greece with some of the students. Will post again when I get back and have more beautiful pictures to share.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



25th April 2011

Great Weekend
Hi Christine Despite the fact we were all away from our families, we had a great time spending Easter with you. Deb
2nd May 2011

"because we can"
LOL -- i loved this statement the most... Rub it in, why 'doncha'! The weather is warming up here, buds are starting to burst forth, but i can assure you that these toes won't be in the lake water anytime soon! Glad to hear you're out touring & seeing the world around you. J:)

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb