Shopping in Laxey


Advertisement
Isle of Man's flag
Europe » Isle of Man » Douglas
May 17th 2023
Published: May 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Before we left, we had contacted the King Edward Bay Golf Course about a tee time, asking for an early tee time so Mike could golf on his own since it's been so long since he golfed much. The pro was very helpful, said he'd arrange clubs to rent and a buggy and I could ride along even if I didn't golf. So, we reserved a 7:20 tee time for this morning, got up at 6:30 and got a cab. No one there, no one arriving, no sign of life. A bit after 7:20, a grounds worker-type arrived and asked if he could help us; we replied that we had a 7:20 tee time. He didn't know anything about tee times. Finally, we gave up, called the cab again and headed back to the hotel. At least, we got there in time to have breakfast which was 8-9:30!

Since that meant we had the morning free, we took the electric train to Laxey to go to the Woolen Mills and do a bit of shopping. Mike got a(nother) hat and we got a couple yards (well, actually meters) of Manx tartan to make cooking aprons for Mike and others. We considered taking the other train on up to Snaefell, the highest point on the island but it was also along a very steep valley and, as we remembered, was not a completely comfortable ride! So, we headed back down to Douglas and returned to the hotel for a bit of a rest before a delightful yummy dinner near the Marina.

Packed up to fly back to Dublin the next day then on to the US on the 19th.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

View on the way upView on the way up
View on the way up

This was very nearly the same ride we took yesterday but a bit closer to the coast than the road in some places
So scenic...So scenic...
So scenic...

I think they keep a sailboat out there for the pictures
Walking to the Laxey Woolen MillsWalking to the Laxey Woolen Mills
Walking to the Laxey Woolen Mills

have to have water for mills.
BridgesBridges
Bridges

The railroad bridge is in the foreground, car bridge behind it.
Steep climb upSteep climb up
Steep climb up

but Mike was a trooper!
Pretty flowersPretty flowers
Pretty flowers

on the way to dinner


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb