Day 4 - 01 May 2005 (Co Donegal)


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
May 10th 2005
Published: May 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Roxy, Agnes, MichelleRoxy, Agnes, MichelleRoxy, Agnes, Michelle

In the pub in Westport!
We woke up in Ballyshannon and drove the short distance to Donegal town, another visit (for me--was there with Bri) to the Donegal castle....Still the same, small but kind of kool! We had coffee and debated going to Creeslough, where grandmom's family is still alive and residing....hmmm, seemed a hike so we decided this day would be as good a time as any to wet our feet in the Atlantic...We moved west towards the Atlantic....
We accidentally ended up in Glencolmcille, which was kool nonetheless, there was a folk village there with loads of thatched roof cottages!!! My favourite, I swear I'm building one in Philly...lol....with a peat fireplace and all! Across from here we walked down to the beach, and felt the ice cold Atlantic....Agnes was amused by the kids with their buckets/shovels and rain boots and coats.....a gorgeous place to have touched the Atlantic from the eastern side....

What followed a relaxed experience in Glencolmcille will forever be etched in my mind as one of the most frightening events in my entire existence....
Who was the mastermind behind doing such a thing..? Yours truly. 😉 Oh and sorry Ag and Michelle but the lady at the folk village
The dancing queenThe dancing queenThe dancing queen

Getting her groove on...
said only confident drivers should go up to the second viewing point....left that part out....lol.
Anyway--there's cliffs called Slieve League (Slieve means like mountain or something)...it's the point of the highest sea cliffs in Europe which drop 600 meters, or 1972 feet, to the sea. I drove the cliff tops on One Man's Path which has often been described as 'terrifying.' That's an understatement....The path was crooked with quick changes of direction, extremely narrow and shared with walkers and drivers coming back down....one way up, one way down....i literally had to remind myself to breath....my body felt as is it was going to paralyze, i was shaking uncontrollably but then not at all cos I was so focused on not shaking, or else we'd have fallen those 1,972 feet to our death....I needed to only take one look out the side to see that there was a nice DROP right next to the jeep, with no rails to guide us...yes i said a Jeep--how wrong is that? An american in a jeep in Ireland, driving the opposite side on a freaking cliff's edge on a one way, narrow path? Let's just say that it was so terrorizing that we came to this logical conclusion....well Agnes said, screw the car, just stay as close to the left coming down...we'll scrape the whole side off if we have to....(the right was the drop to the water when we were coming down)...i was saying, no I'll leave the jeep right here, and walk---maybe find someone else to drive it down.....Michelle had her eyes covered and actually cursed a guy who decided he'd park on the left (OUR SIDE COMING DOWN) so we'd have to go around him...very funny--in retrospect! sheer, pure, terror.....
I hope my photos, when I get them back, give justice....

Anyway, after this adrenaline rush we made our getaway....picked another place out of the guide....and ended up in Westport in Co. Mayo...very kool village. We had sandwiches and many drinks at a pub called The Helm, nice bartendar, else we would have starved! Agnes was adopted by a wedding party, who were dancing/celebrating....We closed this pub too! and even tried to take the party into the cab, with our glasses of wine, the cabbie looked us like...? uh, no!
Enjoyable day, despite looking possible death in the face. lol.
thanks again Michelle for the photos...Helps the whole journal/blog come
Agnes on the jeepAgnes on the jeepAgnes on the jeep

the photo doesn't do this boat justice in a small country with small roads...
to life....I should be getting mine back soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

us treeus tree
us tree

tree as in three, a la irish speak... taken by our nice bartendar
the many uses of pringlesthe many uses of pringles
the many uses of pringles

this sums up the driving parts...


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb