Killarney to Cong


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
October 13th 2009
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sorry it’s been so long between blogs. It seems the days are just packed and then we fall into bed. Not to mention never ending internet issues. We left Kilkenny to head for Killarney and stopped at The Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle. The site at Cashel has been in use since the 5th century. Presented to the church in the 12th century, it was at Cashel that the Irish Princes paid homage to King Henry II. Built on a huge rock hill, at 200 feet over the town, the stone structure is imposing and you really could tell how important defense was back in the dark days of history. Cahir Castle, a superb restoration of a castle built in 1142, was one of our favorites because you could actually go into the castle and visualize a family living there. Again, those stairs! They must have had great legs! Then, on to Blarney Castle as every good tourist must do. Actually it was a blast. Jim and I hung upside down (kind of scary) and kissed the stone. I haven’t noticed any new eloquence unfortunately. Again, Blarney was somewhat though not greatly restored, so it was fun to check out the tiny rooms like a rabbit warren throughout the ruined castle. This is when touring off season pays off. No crowds! Finally we arrived in Killarney. As usual we were exhausted and wandering the streets looking for a pub. By wonderful chance, a Jaunting (Jaunty?) Carriage driver asked us is we wanted an evening ride by the lake out to Ross Castle. It turned out to be a magical late in the day drive.. The sun was just getting ready to set, we saw several red deer and the light at the castle ruin by the lake was spectacular. Very romantic! Jim and I agree that the actual Killarney Town was our least favorite town because it was extremely touristy. On the happy side, we finally found excellent Irish Stew and Beef & Guinness Casserole. Murphy’s pub in Killarney makes the best by far. We decided on our full day in Killarney to drive the Dingle Peninsula. It was breathtaking. We stopped at several ancient sites to see ancient ring forts, behive huts and the Gallerus Oratory, an ancient Irish Corbelled Church. Of course we had to stop in Dingle to check out the pubs also. As long as we stopped at one drink (per the whole trip, not per pub), we estimated that we would stay under the limit, so we are still trying to be very responsible, which is not so easy to do since the temptation is enormous. As soon as we check into our hotel though, all bets are off. The next morning before setting off, we visited the Muckross House, which was really fun to tour since again, since we had a private tour due to the fact that we were the only people who showed up at 10 am. We learned how the ladies and gentlemen who owned the house starting in the 1840’s lived and all about how the house was used for elaborate hunting parties in the 1900’s. After that it was on to our next hotel, Ashford Castle near Cong. Very, Very, Very, long drive. I don’t think we expected it to be so long and our Garmen made life miserable by cutting off continually (a short I think) every time we went over a bump in the road. Fortunately, we figured out how to put waypoints in so that Garmen was not taking us on crazy back roads as it had been doing all week. We stopped at another big tourist site and loved it. Bunratty Castle and Folk Village. I was really impressed by the restored castle and the folk village is made up of historic cottages and other buildings moved from around Ireland to the site. It didn’t seem cheesy to me at all. I finally found my peat fire. Most of the cottages had peat fires glowing in the hearths. Lastly, we drove to the Cliffs of Moher. They were exactly as they look in the guide books! We watched as many people jumped over the gate marked “do not enter, private property” to walk to the very edge. Not being the overly daring type, I didn’t go there especially since Jim was making jokes about the easy way to get rid of a wife. The view was still beyond compare and we were happy to have made the trek. Finally we arrived at Ashford Castle after a brief stop at the pub in Cong (where the Quiet Man was filmed), but that is for the next blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



13th October 2009

Hi!
So glad you all are having a great time! I'm sure the time has gone by quickly... good for you for not spending TOO much time blogging and MORE time enjoying! Can't wait to hear all about it when you all get back. Love, Jenni
14th October 2009

Well mom, today's the day the new Nancy Drew game comes out and there you are sightseeing castles and kissing Blarney stones. Geez, thanks Jim!! lol Looks like you guys are having fun.. drink a last Guiness for me.. I'm sure it tastes even better there!! Love you guys!! Oh, and Maddy says.. "Look at Grandma Susan at her beautiful castle!!"
15th October 2009

Wow!
I really enjoyed reading your blog. It was very informative...makes me wanna go there! So happy that you are having a great trip. Everything is A-OK here.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb