Moher and Loop Head


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
October 13th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

13 October 2008

A long day which started with a visit to Kilfenora’s Cathederal and its twelfth century Dorty high cross.

Then on to the 700 ft high Cliffs of Moher, one of Ireland’s premier tourist spots. Although the cliffs are spectacular, we thought the area had been rather spoiled by the newly erected visitor centre and the attempt to restrict access to the areas with the best views. However with a lot of the other visitors we ignored the no access signs and had a pleasant cliff top walk away from most of the crowds.

After lunch we continued southwards past several pleasant beaches, on one of which we saw some surfers. We eventually arrived at the holiday resort of Kilkee and then turned west to visit the narrow 15 mile long Loop Head Peninsular. The road passed very close to the top of miles of more spectacular cliffs and stacks which we enjoyed more than Moher as there were no other tourists. At one spot we found some fishermen operating in very precarious positions and were presented with a couple of mackerel that made a good breakfast the following morning.

At 7 o’clock, just as it was getting dark, we finally found a pleasant campsite at Doonaha on the south coast on the Shannon estuary.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb