IRELAND - DAY SIX


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow » Glendalough
October 6th 2013
Published: October 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday morning was bright as we went downstairs for breakfast. Actually we were not so hungry after our feast last night. We packed up and headed back to Tullamore stopping along the road for photo ops of the Wicklow Gap. From forested hillsides to rocky plains it was a beautiful sight. The glacial valley has steep sides and a river tumbling over the boulders and down to the sea. There were ruins along the river edge that I would have loved to explore if we had a bit more time.



We tried another route home and except for a bit of confusion around Kildare it was much shorter. Mick and Mary were waiting for us with the news that we had been invited to dinner with Liam and Miriam. Before that we drove out to the Portaneena on Lake Ballaghkeeran to Wineport Lodge for a snack and a drink. Located on the shore of the lake, the lodge was hosting a breast cancer fund raiser but there was room in the lounge for us. It was too bad that we couldn't sit outside but the skies were spiting (as Mommy would say). There was a water skier on the water and speed boats enjoying the day. Liam's niece had here wedding reception here. A perfect pick.



The countryside was green and dotted with sheep and cows. The roads were well paved if narrow and the signage was good. Mick was the guiding star which worked well until he started a story and then I had to prompt him when we reached a roundabout.



Miriam and Liam have recently renovated their home a added an addition to the kitchen. It was beautiful with light wood cabinets and beige and brown tiles for the backsplash. We had a glass of wine waiting for dinner.



Liam is the chef in the house and he had prepared a beef stir-fry served over mashed potatoes. Dessert was a lovely, velvety home made lemon custard sauce over poundcake with pineapple, whipped cream and jam. Yum.



We headed home and I headed up to bed. There was lots of driving in the past two days and I was whipped. Pat and the Casey's stayed up to talk. Tomorrow is the castle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

AVONDALEAVONDALE
AVONDALE

Charles Stewart Parnell's family home


Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb