Ireland 2024


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow » Glendalough
April 20th 2024
Published: April 24th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Royal Portrush Golf Course Hole # 1Royal Portrush Golf Course Hole # 1Royal Portrush Golf Course Hole # 1

Former home course of Rory McIlroy and host to the 2019 Open Championship. It will host it again in 2025. Green Fees for public play is 350 pound sterling about $600 CDN.
A pleasant surprise at Portrush! The weather cleared and we woke up to a warm, sunny day. Unplanned, we drove over to the Royal Portrush Golf Club, (home of the 2019 Open Championship and Rory McIlroy’s former home course) thinking we might get a last minute tee time. Lo and behold, the only time was with another twosome. Incredibly it was Rory McIlroy and Shane Lowry. What a golf game!! Both Debra and I had record scores, I shot a 74 and Debra finished with 85. I had a “hole in one” on the 155 yard hole #3, par 3 and on the 510 yard par 5, hole #12, I actually drove the ball off the tee within 30 yards of Rory’s drive. It was an incredible day topped off by having a beer with Rory and Shane at the Harbour Bar in downtown Portrush.

My apologies for the above paragraph. I kissed the Blarney Stone and the next day had this uncontrollable urge to put together a completely fabricated tale that for sure would be unbelievable by those that have golfed with us. I feel better now and the effects of the Blarney Stone have worn off so you
Lough Eske Castle. Lough Eske Castle. Lough Eske Castle.

Beautiful facility and very comfortable with yummy meals.
can rest assured all subsequent stories of our travels will be accurate and authentic.

Before leaving Portrush, a stop at the Bushmill Distillery was in order. It’s the oldest licensed Distillery in the world, established in 1608. The sampling was enjoyable, however, we were too late for a tour which would have been interesting. The next day, after about an hour’s drive, we arrive in Derry/Londonderry. It’s the 2nd largest city in Northern Ireland after Belfast and also experienced major violence during the ”Troubles” of the late 60’s and early 70’s. You can walk on top of the ancient stone wall that surrounds the city core with points of interest along the way. Below the walls, in what was once called the “Bog”, is the Catholic/Nationalist section where much of the riots took place. There are still numerous murals protesting the British rule over Northern Ireland and also clear support of the Palestinian struggles as an oppressed people.

With a comfortable drive to Donegal we arrive at Lough Eske Castle where we enjoyed a two night stay in luxurious accommodations. This was so uncharacteristic for Debra to book this type of facility, however, she explained it will be
Kylemore AbbyKylemore AbbyKylemore Abby

Built by a British industrialist in late 1800’s and purchased by Benedictine nuns in early 1920’s.
our 35th Anniversary gift, so even though it’s in August, we will celebrate early. The Castle was a former home to the O’Connell clan in the 15th century who ruled over much of Donegal County. Using Lough Eske as a base, we explored Slieve League, a dramatic coastal area looking out over the Atlantic, as well as other small villages in that surrounding area.

Galway was our next stopover on our way to Cliffs of Moher, the most popular tourist attraction in Ireland. The good weather from the previous day stayed with us and we had a fabulous clear day for an exceptional view of the rugged Irish coast. The 4 km hike on a well protected path provided a very enjoyable afternoon and certainly helped reduce the anxiety associated with the drive to the cliffs. The next few days were busy with stops at Kylemore Abbey (a converted Castle bought by Benedictine nuns), the Ring of Kerry( a coastal route featuring ”look outs”, Beaches, Castles and Forts) and some very scenic hiking trails.

A few years ago, we befriended an Irish couple who were also staying at the same place in South Africa. David and Gillian Burke
Cliffs of MoyerCliffs of MoyerCliffs of Moyer

Hard to see in the picture but at the every end of the cliff is a look out built during the Napoleonic wars.
were delightful and we shared some very special times with them. On the last leg of this Ireland trip, we stopped into to see David in County Wicklow, a beautiful, charming area about 1hours drive from Dublin. Sadly Gillian passed away a few years ago, however, we had a most enjoyable visit with David who provided us with a very yummy lamb dinner and lodging for the night at his beautiful country house. It was great catching up with David and sharing some mutual experiences as he is an extensive traveler and closing in on 100 countries visited.

Our Ireland trip is now finished and it was a thoroughly enjoyable time. We covered a lot of the Island driving over 2000km, so it was a busy time and perhaps a little too rushed! The weather was superb and greatly exceeded our expectations. Ireland has great natural beauty, an abundance of friendly people and a rich culture that is known and respected around the world. The country has had a deep and troubled history but appears to be now prospering with a bright future.

With our travels now complete for this year, we look forward to spending time in
Dunloe’s Gap.Dunloe’s Gap.Dunloe’s Gap.

A nice walking trail meandering through a valley leading to the sea.
Niagara on the Lake, playing a few rounds of golf and getting together with family and friends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Derrynane BeachDerrynane Beach
Derrynane Beach

This was one of the most beautiful beaches you’ll find anywhere. The sand was soft and white and the beach framed by gentle cliffs and rocks exposed by the receding tide.
Blarney CastleBlarney Castle
Blarney Castle

A place where stories are developed!
David Burke and DebraDavid Burke and Debra
David Burke and Debra

Outside the restaurant in Hollywood, County Wicklow (it was named so before the other one in USA) where we had a very unique and delicious Turkish breakfast!
GlendaloughGlendalough
Glendalough

A beautiful Irish country side. The stream is clean and cold being feed from the hills and mountains.


25th April 2024

Erin Go Braugh
Too funny… the Rory tale! What a wonderful adventure you’ve had on The Emerald Isle! Looking forward to your return to NOTL!

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb