Blarney! 4/09/09


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Waterford » Waterford
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday 4 September
We headed off this morning towards Blarney, gearing up to kiss the stone. The castle is really lovely and relaxing. A peaceful stop, but then again, we had just beaten bus loads of tourists. The climb up the tower is through a quite narrow spiral staircase. There were tiney rooms coming off the staircase. Certainly a modest castle! When we reached the top, there was only a very small line up. The story is that a prince saved a drowning witch from a river and she returned the favour by telling him there was a magic rock at his castle. One that would give a person the eloquence of speech. Hoping it works. A man helps you to lie on your back, and you reach over your head to hold onto two steel rails. Then you have to lean backwards until you reach the rock. The actual stone is lower than the rock you first reach and you have to lean over more. Your head is virtually vertical as you get a good glimpse of the grounds 300ft below you. A quick peck and they help you back up. You then get to go down and purchase the 10 euro photo they take of you!
I had lunch there and had…… A SOUP!!.. beautiful potatoe and broccoli, with garlic bread.
We drove off to the Waterford Crystal Factory. Apparently we are one of the last groups to visit there as it’s shutting down. I can see why. It was SO boring. The crystal did nothing for me and was expensive. Nothing nice at all. We drove to the Dooley’s Hotel in Waterford. Waterford is a true port city. We went on a walking tour with Jack which was interesting. Best part was it finished at a pub where we were shouted a drink. We went back to the hotel for dinner and had.. SOUP… vege, crumbed chicken and apple tart.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb