Day 11


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Tipperary » Cashel
May 10th 2019
Published: May 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The Rock of CashelThe Rock of CashelThe Rock of Cashel

Lots of grave markers on the property, all dating in the 1800's and 1900's.
Day 11

Our last full day in Ireland, was spent traveling to see the Rock of Cashel, which was a little over an hour away. The Rock is where St. Patrick baptized the King Aengus of Munster around 450. Around 1101, the King gave the Rock to the Church, and in 1134 they built the Cormac Chapel, and between 1230 and 1290 the Cathedral was built. You can see from the diagram in the pictures, that both Churches do NOT face East. The Chapel, since it was first, faces East. The Cathedral, because it was second, and the king wanted it bigger, they had to elongate some parts, and orient it the way it is so it would fit on the Rock.

We walked around at first, but it was drizzling rain, so we stayed under cover. The wind is cold, strong on the top of the Rock. The Rock is just that, a big Rock on the beautiful plain of Tipperary. It is a long steep walk up to the Cathedral and Chapel.

During this period of Ireland’s history, the Catholics were in fear for their lives when the English came in. They were asked for ransom
The Cathedral ruinsThe Cathedral ruinsThe Cathedral ruins

You see the round tower. It was one of the first things built on the site.
money be given, and if they couldn’t give it, they were killed. In the town of Cashel, in 1647, Protestant Lord Inchiquin, under Oliver Cromwell’s orders, came in and massacred the Catholics. They all fled to the Cathedral for safety. The attackers packed turf around the exterior and burned the church down. While you can see gravestones around the ruins of the church, these are late 1800 and 1900 graves. There is no marking for the mass killing in 1647. You can also see from the Rock, the Abbey below, also in ruins, where the monks stayed. After that, it was abandoned, as well as the abbey at the bottom of the Rock.

After our visit we walked back down, and found a place to eat, talk about what we had just seen, and then drove back home to Cobh.

Upon arriving on Cobh, we wanted to see the Catherdral in Cobh. We heard their bells, and looked up some infomation, and they have a carrilion of 49 bells, that sounded terrific. It was near the hotel, so we stopped in on the way home.

Tomorrow we check out here, drive back to Dublin, completing our Irish
A view of the Abbey from the top of the Rock.A view of the Abbey from the top of the Rock.A view of the Abbey from the top of the Rock.

Walking around the Catherdral, you look towards the rear and you can see the ruins of the Abbey.
research and touring. We go to London tomorrow.

Stay tuned for move travel news.

PS: We have had WiFi here in the hotel, but it has not been reliable. It may work in the morning, but when you return, you can’t use it. Two hours later, it will work again. Download speeds 2-4Mb upload 1Mb, when it works. It works more than it doesn’t work, but when it doesn’t work, you have to take a break.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Returning to CobhReturning to Cobh
Returning to Cobh

There was a great view of the water where our hotel sits.
St. Colman's Cathedral, Cobh.St. Colman's Cathedral, Cobh.
St. Colman's Cathedral, Cobh.

Started building in 1868, and finished with first service in 1879. Dedicated to St. Colman in 1919. A carilion of 42 bells was installed in 1916. They were renovated in 1948. 5 more bells were added in 1957, and 2 more in 1998, making a carilion of 49 bells. They sound beautiful every 15 minutes during the day.
The floors are wood and tileThe floors are wood and tile
The floors are wood and tile

The floors everywhere in the church are wood, with tile mosaic chips marking the aisles
This is one of two birds that made it into the Church.This is one of two birds that made it into the Church.
This is one of two birds that made it into the Church.

Today, the worker we talked to said the bird was not in yesterday, so it came in some how today. Not sure how they are going to get them out. He said there were two, and he has been cleaning their messes all day. He was flying around and landed on the top of the column cap between the stained glass windows.


Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb