Day 04


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Sligo » Sligo
May 3rd 2019
Published: May 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Slieve League B&BSlieve League B&BSlieve League B&B

Close to the cliffs, and a very nice place for being on the way to nowhere, except the Slieve League (Sliabh Liag) Cliffs.
Day 04

We left our cozy B&B for the Slieve League Cliffs. You pass though a gate, which you much open and close like on a farm, because there is livestock grazing freely on the green grass.

Gorgeous views on the way up, and on the way down from the Cliffs. We saw someone’s peat drying, some little lambs, and very pretty scenes.

On the way to Sligo, we stopped in Donegal to see the city, and pop into some shops to see what the local economy was like.

Most of the day was driving and seeing more of the Wild Atlantic Way route. Some roads today were busier than the roads we have been on so far, but still not too crowded and very scenic with farms, homes, small towns and lots of sheep, some cows and some horses.

After checking to the hotel in Sligo, we opted to walk around, and walk to the Famine Memorial. The Potato famine in the mid 1800’s was a huge event causing people that didn’t emigrate, to die from starvation. Over 30,000 people left the port of Sligo between 1847-1851. The famine killed over a million people between
The scare crow for sheep.The scare crow for sheep.The scare crow for sheep.

In the left center of the frame, on the green field, you see a little "man" in white. It is a scare crow to try and scare away the foxes. This famer next door to our B&B lost 5 little lambs after they were born, and were not able to hop and run as fast. That is his fox protection.
1845 and 1849.

Riding, walking, and now sleeping. It shall continue.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Peat fuelPeat fuel
Peat fuel

Peat is the winter heating fuel. It is drying here, and when dried, it burns like coal, but cleaner, in stoves and fireplaces. You can see the clynidrical cores drying.
Mary had a little lamb,Mary had a little lamb,
Mary had a little lamb,

I don't think this is "Mary", the lamb is little, but the fleece isn't white as snow. It is tagged with red, just like the Ram.
SLieve League CliffsSLieve League Cliffs
SLieve League Cliffs

These are the highest cliffs in Europe. The Cliffs of Moher are much more crowded, but are not as high. They are steeper, but these are the highest, and look so majestic.
Scenic views on the way to the CliffsScenic views on the way to the Cliffs
Scenic views on the way to the Cliffs

There are severl very pretty views on the way up to the Cliffs.
Beautiful ViewBeautiful View
Beautiful View

Thankful that it is not foggy, or rainy.
Panorama of old Donegal Panorama of old Donegal
Panorama of old Donegal

We stopped to shop and get a bite to eat in this quaint little town. I love we are not rushing from point A to point B, but enjoying the sights and people.
A wool storeA wool store
A wool store

With all the sheep, you would think they make wool. They do, and this is a working loom, being demonstrated and explained by someone that is disapppointed machines are taking the place of the craftsmen working the loom.
Strolling the River to see the town.Strolling the River to see the town.
Strolling the River to see the town.

It is chilly, windy, but a nice afternoon-evening for a stroll. We were walking to the Famine memorial.
Famine MemorialFamine Memorial
Famine Memorial

This memorial is dedicated to the 30,000 people that emigrated from Sligo between 1847 and 1851 during the potatoe famine. The people either stayed and starved, or sought a new place, and New York was one destination.
The view from our windo.The view from our windo.
The view from our windo.

Sun getting low and casts a nice lighting on boats anchored along the river wall. Several Malard ducks enjoy the river, and can be seen flying back and forth up and down the river.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb