Boffin to Frenchport


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left Boffin at 0928 and arived in Frenchport, Co. Mayo at 1930. Its a distance of about 45 nM. We motored out the narrow entrance of Boffin with Moritz on the tiller and after clearing the approaches we raised the main and headed east to clear the souind between Boffin and Dubhoileann. Then we fought very light winds for three hours. Sometimes we touched 4 kn but mostly it wqs 3 to 3.5. There was a F2 S and eventually after trying everything including goose-winging we switched on the engine and at 5.5 kn we motored past Clare Island and Turk Island to Achill Head. Then we veered easterly with Black Rock outside us and we approached the Inishkeas. These remarkable islands have pre-christian remains remeniscent of newgrange. We hove to and in a few minutes we caught a dozen mackerel. With only a few miles to Frenchport we carefully avoided Edeye Rock and followed 53.15 N as an approach to Frenchport. There was a big swell on the approach and we motored in to the harbour. We had dropped the main before we entered which was a mistake because as we went through the entrance we were totally reliant on the engine. We anchored off the slip in 11M. sally cooked a feast and there was mackerel to spare. Our two heros M and J went ashore on the dinghy and the first vehicle that they met brought them to the local watering hole. How lucky can you get!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb