Ireland the North 2 Day 4 Westport


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo » Westport
August 2nd 2022
Published: August 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Aasleagh FallsAasleagh FallsAasleagh Falls

Near Leenaun
Ireland the North 2. Day 4 Westport
A much better day today with a drizzly start but capes were soon off as we climbed out of Clifden. We are following the coast again and the views are very pleasant with craggy hills, stony shores and a nice smell of seaweed which always makes me feel that I am really by the sea. Gulls are in abundance,as you would expect, and the odd heron and swan in the still waters. Valerie, Brian and Bernard are getting to grips with the Garmins now which means we are able to form smaller groups on the road without putting stress on anyone and fear the inherent fear of getting lost. We may now have some converts to the 21st century and the digital age. We had a mid morning snack in Letterfrack at the pub which appeared to be the late breakfast stop for many men. As one chap slithered off his chair to go out we snaffled his left over chips as we were in much more need of calories than him we thought. We passed a modern church building which invited us to go in and pray. Some of the group prayed for a day without getting lost. ‘The cheek of it’. The route took us up to Leenaun where there is food for those who had leaped ahead at Letterfrack, and just beyond the village there is St Joseph’s Well down by the sea. Here also is the first and last pub in Connemara before entering Co Mayo. Turning left here brought us to the Aasleagh Falls which were in full force after yesterday’s downpour. A couple of fishermen were trying to catch fish in a big net on the falls. It was the day of waterfalls as we passed many more on our way north. The best section I think was the ride with a ferocious tail wind up the Doolough Valley (the famine trail). This was where in 1849 hundreds of locals tragically died of starvation and cold looking for food. An excellent light lunch was had in Louisburg before a pleasant ride along the coast to Westport and the Boffin Lodge Guest house. 61 miles ridden today.
Dinner at the Towers Bar was certainly up to scratch tonight, top quality and good portions.
Bernie’s rear wheel is clicking with bearing problems. Let’s hope it survives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement


Shebeen PubShebeen Pub
Shebeen Pub

Westport



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb