Day 06


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo » Cong
May 5th 2019
Published: May 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our home for 3 daysOur home for 3 daysOur home for 3 days

The Galway Bay Sea View Apartments.
Day 06

Today was a sight seeing day. We are going to the little town of Cong.

The name, Cong, comes from Conga, which describes an isthmus, or a piece of land between two bodies of water. There are lakes on both sides of this area, hence the name. In the movie, Quite Man, the town is called Insfree. The economy of this little village is based on tourists coming to see the place where the movie happened. It has been almost 70 years since the movie was made, and it is still drawing tourists.

The story line of the movie is a good one, and the movie was fun to watch. We want to watch it again when we get home, now that we have seen the town. Electricity was not present when the filming was assigned to be here. There were other places they were going to use, but they had no place large enough for cast and crew to stay. Here in Cong, there was the Ashford Castle which is huge, and housed everyone with no problem. It is now a major hotel. The plan to bring electricity in was put on a fast track
Another pretty sight.Another pretty sight.Another pretty sight.

The rock wall fences have so much character, and they seem to contain the livestock.
since filming was going to happen in Cong, so that was also a benefit to the city.

If you haven’t seen the movie, then most of today’s post will just be pictures of food and pretty scenes and an old building. ?

And the travel continues.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Abbey of CongAbbey of Cong
Abbey of Cong

The monastery of Cong was established in the 7th century. I was destroyed by fire in the 12th century, and destroyed by Norman knight William de Burgo in 1203. It was rebuilt in the 13th century. The remains here are from that rebuilding.
Another Quite Man momentAnother Quite Man moment
Another Quite Man moment

This monument is a tribute to when Mary Kate tells Sean "Take me away". It was crafted from promotional material because in the movie she is in her bridal dress.
Kathleen our tour guideKathleen our tour guide
Kathleen our tour guide

We took a tour of the sites used in making of the Quite Man movie in 1951. If you haven't seen the movie, then coming to this town would not be as interesting.
The Dying Man's houseThe Dying Man's house
The Dying Man's house

In the movie there is a man who is sick and dying. When the fighting (Sean Thornton and Will Danaher start their fight, it moves through town, and the dying man gets out of bed pulls up his pants to go outside and see what the turmoil is all about.
This is the bar in the movie.This is the bar in the movie.
This is the bar in the movie.

It was a grocery store, and John Ford paid to relocate the grocery to another building while they used it for filming. All external scenes were shot here in Cong. Inside scenes shot in Los Angeles. So, when Sean hits Will and knocks him out the door, he was knocked some 5000 miles, from Los Angeles to Cong (Insfree was the name in the movie) where he exited the building.
St. Mary's ChurchSt. Mary's Church
St. Mary's Church

There are two churches in town, St. Mary's the Catholic church and St. Mary's the Church of Ireland church. This is the Church of Ireland church, and is the one used for external filming of the wedding. The Catholic church was used for the interior scenes for the lovely stained glass window. That church has been totally redone, with the stained glass window mounted inside.
Lunch in CongLunch in Cong
Lunch in Cong

Sweet potatoe & bacon soup, with ham sandwich.
Gallion RestaurantGallion Restaurant
Gallion Restaurant

A nice walk from the hotel to places to eat. This is the one we picked for tonight.
Gallion Restaurant Gallion Restaurant
Gallion Restaurant

Evening meal after sight seeing at Cong.
Crispy Bacon SaladCrispy Bacon Salad
Crispy Bacon Salad

Salad for Vernell, had a variety of things in it, and was good.
Fried mushrooms, and salad.Fried mushrooms, and salad.
Fried mushrooms, and salad.

The salad was mixed greens, and the mushrooms were good. Gail had those, and reported on the flavor.
Seafood chowderSeafood chowder
Seafood chowder

The chowder was delicious.
Evening sets on Galway BayEvening sets on Galway Bay
Evening sets on Galway Bay

We have been blessed with such good weather the last few days.


Tot: 0.426s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb