The Road to the Highlands is Narrow


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Limerick » Kilfinane
August 26th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Crofting Ruins, KilfinanCrofting Ruins, KilfinanCrofting Ruins, Kilfinan

Looking towards Loch Fyne.
We stayed at the hostel where I had lived in Glasgow exactly 8 years ago...only problem was, it was totally different and in quite poor shape. No further evidence needed than the overflowing 3rd floor toilet which woke us all up around 3 am when the water soaked underneath and bit into the fire alarm. It soon after soaked out the poor lads sleeping on the 2nd floor, pretty much ruining their morning.

It was now my turn to drive - mind you, on the left. It actually surprised me how quickly I remembered how to drive properly over there (and that the left lane is the slow lane!). Drove west through the Argyll Forest Park and soon found ourselves on the perilously narrow single-track to Kilfinan. These roads are intensely curvy, and sometimes necessitate going in reverse for long distances to find the last passing place if oncoming traffic is spotted. Eventually we arrived, and entered the estate grounds (marked "private"). Crossed the river, and eventually ended up on the shores of Loch Fyne. I was remembering the hours I had spent on these shores doing my morning quiet times. Being there again makes me smile.

Then up
Kilfinan HouseKilfinan HouseKilfinan House

The house where a German, 3 South Africans, and I lived summer of 1999. It didn't look this nice when I lived there.
through the bracken to the ruins of the old crofting village. This area was abandoned after the Highland Clearances, to make room for the White Plague (sheep, of course).

After Kilfinan, we drove up to the Kyles of Bute (please see the note on the picture for a word on pronunciation!). This is the thin body of water which separates the Cowal peninsula from the island of Bute. The sailing/fishing village of Tighnabruaich is off to the right of the photo. From there we started north to Fort William (Ft. Willy). The more social hostel was already full for the night, so we settled for the other hostel in the city centre, which is actually really nice but lacks personality. Poor Lara and Jacob, I don't think they'll ever stay in another hostel as long as they live! You never quite know what you're going to find...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kyles of ButeKyles of Bute
Kyles of Bute

Say "Beutte", not "Butt". Smartass.
Kilmartin Standing StonesKilmartin Standing Stones
Kilmartin Standing Stones

Neolithic standing stones, complete with prairie maggots.
Kilmartin Burial SiteKilmartin Burial Site
Kilmartin Burial Site

Another Neolithic site, this time a burial chamber.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb