Change of plans -- Kilkenny, Day 2


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny » Kilkenny
March 23rd 2010
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.6538, -7.24798

Woke up today and decided we wanted to spend more time in Kilkenny than just one day. Such a quaint and interesting small city with so many historical treasures to see, and we just didn't want to rush through it all in a half day. Plus, with a 5-hour drive to the Dingle Peninsula ahead of us, we thought it'd be smart to get an early start.

So, after checking to see if we could stay on another night at the wonderful Butler Court in Kilkenny and successfully cancelling our first of two nights in Dingle, we were changed travelers.

Today was more typically Irish grey skies and drizzle, so the primary destinations of our walking today was touring Kilkenny Castle near our lodging on the south end of town and St. Canice's Cathedral at the north end. The castle is over 800 years old and is a striking combination of medieval fortress and Gothic mansion. It was given to Kilkenny City in the late 1960's for restoration and heritage purposes, and it is surrounded by ancient stone walls and acres of beautiful park land.

St. Canice's (Kenneth) Cathedral was even more breathtaking. The Round Tower outside the cathedral was built first in 849 as a lookout. The early Gothic cathedral was completed in 1285. From the towering beamed arched ceiling and the stunning stained glass to the crypts in the church, it was stunning. Interesting that a (very distant) relative of President Barack Obama, a former provost at Trinity College Dubln and a bishop in the Anglican church, is buried in the church cemetery right outside the cathedral.

Had a great meal at an Italian restaurant tonight, our best meal yet in Ireland. Tomorrow (early), onto Cashel and Dingle.

If you see or talk to either of our moms, let them know we're having a great time (and, if you can, share this blog with them . . . they're not cyber-connected).

Love to all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Another Kilkenny pub, Cleere'sAnother Kilkenny pub, Cleere's
Another Kilkenny pub, Cleere's

This is where we went for a trad (traditional Irish music) session last night.
St. Canice's CathedralSt. Canice's Cathedral
St. Canice's Cathedral

Nave, bell tower, choir stalls, altar, and east window
St. Francis Abbey BrewerySt. Francis Abbey Brewery
St. Francis Abbey Brewery

Home of Smithwick Ale, an Irish red ale. Jim B, it tastes MUCH better here, at the source, on draught!
Butler Court Guest AccommodationButler Court Guest Accommodation
Butler Court Guest Accommodation

Inside the courtyard. Kilkenny Castle can be seen in the distance. Formerly the castle's riding stable.


24th March 2010

Looking good! Remember, driver aliens to the inside of the road...
24th March 2010

Learn to spell... aligns.
24th March 2010

sweet gothic church! remind me of the ones i saw in africa.... just kiding. african churches are a little more rustic, if you know what i mean!it looks frigid there good thing there are bars on every corner that can warm your toes or bellie
s.i talked to ashley today! she is well! and i found out that i am officially not going to be home for mother's day. sorry ama.pictures look great. but my challenge is still up for you... find those rolling hills we all know irelend for and maybe a shepard with sheeps??lol love you,kate
24th March 2010

Totally cool pictures, its not quite as good as being there but we do feel as if we're able to share the experience a wee bit. Thank you.

Tot: 0.505s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb