A Day in Kilkenny


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny » Kilkenny
January 17th 2009
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a week and a half in Carlow, we were all ready to get out of town and explore another part of the country. So Saturday morning, we got on the train to Kilkenny. Unsure of where to go when we got off the train, we started walking into what looked like the main part of town. We found the tourist office and got some maps, and then decided to go visit Kilkenny Castle. We got to the castle an hour before the next tour was starting, so we all bought our tickets, and then explored the castle grounds. We walked down a path along the river and played on a playground (ignoring the sign that said it was only for children), and then made our way back to the entrance of the castle for our tour. The tour was interesting, but a little disappointing since we only got to see a small portion of the castle.
Once the tour was over, we were all ready for lunch, so we decided to make our way down High Street to find a nice filling meal at a pub. As we made our way down the street, it began to rain harder and harder, and the wind was starting to pick up. We were all soaking wet and hungry, but we couldn’t seem to find anywhere to eat. We were all ready to give up and just find a fast food restaurant when we finally found a nice warm pub that was serving lunch. We took our time eating, enjoying the warmth of the pub and the filling meal, before heading back out into the rain. We decided to split up for the rest of the day, and I spent the afternoon with my mom, hurrying in and out of shops, trying to stay warm and dry. The weather continued to get worse all afternoon, so we made our way back to the train station about half an hour before the train was supposed to be leaving. When we got there, we found the rest of the group waiting there and found out that a tree had fallen on the railroad tracks, so the train was delayed. We spent an hour and a half waiting in the train station, trying to stay warm while the wind continued to blow the doors open, and were all happy to see the train arrive.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb