Kilkenny and The Rock (not Alcatraz) The Original Rock


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny » Kilkenny
July 20th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Robyn and I slept in and then went over and renter the car and got out of crazy Dublin, although driving wasn't exactly a breeze.

It really does make a difference driving on the other side of the road. I felt like a whole new driver learning how to drive again. It was also remembering how to drive a standard transmission again, but from the other side of the stick.

Eventually Robyn and I made our way to Kilkenny Castle. We found a parking spot and got some tickets. Then we walked down to the little town of Kikenny and had a spectacular lunch at an Irish Pub called "The Field". The best pour of Guinness I've had yet, and a great tuna and sweet corn sandwich along with a seafood chowder that was excellent as well. Robyn had a very good smoked salmon plate.

We rushed back to the castle to make our appointed time-slot for the tour.

The tour was fun and witty with a clever tour-guide who keep things moving along. But the castle has been restored to its Victorian Era restoration, and is kinda boring if you ask me. It seems like it should be older feeling on the inside to match the outside. The castle was built in the early 800's.

We took a walk around the grounds where lots of people picnic and then pushed on to Cashel.

More narrow and curvy streets. Yikes. At 80 or 100 Km/Hr. You hold your breath every time you pass a car going the other way.

We made it to our lovely hostel in Cashel where we were pleasantly greeted and shown our double bedroom. It's a cozy lodge style hostel and feels very homey.

After settling in, we went down and had a Guinness at the local pub and got some groceries for dinner. Then we walked around the Rock of Cashel just after the sun had set. It was a special walk and we had a really nice and relaxed evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb