Cork to Kilkenny


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny » Kilkenny
June 21st 2023
Published: June 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Today was a medium travel day starting in Cork and going to Kilkenny via Waterford. Only about 2 and a half hours of travel.

On arriving in Waterford we decided to check the tour times for The House of Waterford Crystal. After a short wait we started the tour with a quick history lesson on Waterford and a display of some one off signature pieces. Then we toured the different steps of manufacturing starting with making the wood forms, than watched the forms being used in the blowing room. Which then got passed to the where they removed the blowing caps and then they placed in an annealing oven 24 hours to slowly cool. After cooling they ground the rim top, outside, then inside for a clean rim. Any sculpture pieces that required multiple pieces would then be bonded together. After the base was completed the glass pieces are marked with felt marker into grids to allow the master graver to hand grind the pattern on the piece with diamond cutters. This was very informative and gave us an incite in the mastery of their staff who went through an 8 year apprenticeship.

Kilkenny was a brisk 45 minute drive from Waterford and we arrived mid afternoon to our hotel, The Lyrath Estate. Walking through their manicured gardens and around the pond was very relaxing from the hustle of driving. That night we had decided that we needed to experience a traditional Irish pub with live music so enlisted Mickeys Disco party Taxi service to recommend a spot. His recommended spot, Kytelers Inn fulfilled our every wish, from authentic meals, Abbeyfolk irish band , and wonderful staff. We intended to have a quick meal and watch a few songs, but ended up staying til closing.

After closing at the pub we contacted our taxi driver and experienced the full "Mickeys midnight tour" of Kilkenny. What a fantastic taxi driver who charged us the same fare as we paid to come into the pub for a 30 minute tour of town and return trip to the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb