Rural Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny » Kilkenny
July 15th 2022
Published: July 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Jerpoint AbbeyJerpoint AbbeyJerpoint Abbey

Our day consisted of a drive with stops at a couple Abbey's, each of which would be amazing absent Henry VIII. Notice, however, we have some roof in the chancel allowing better preserved remains. This portion of the Abbey dates from a bit after the Norman conquest in the 11th Century.
We sadly departed Dublin without kids on the 12th with Bird and HP just moping along. Otherwise day was okay, warm with folks vehemently complaining of heat in the mid-seventies. A couple of days later when in Portmagee, jumping off point for Skellig Michael, a Yellow Flag warning was issued for temperature as on 16 July it was to rise to a blistering 73F. Honest Abe folksYellow Flag. Chatted with an Airbnb host one afternoon and she warns temp may reach the intolerable levels of the eighties with no rain. She didn't say but one would imagine, they blame the U.S. and China for the bulk of climate change. Countries in Europe by and large are doing the work to reduce carbon, but the big boys do little. At any rate visited a couple of demolished Abbeys (thanks again to that sleazeball Henry) and the medieval town of Kilkenney. Ruined Abbeys were nice as was the town, which is billed as the best preserved medieval town in Ireland. The locals make a wonderful presentation as flowers abound everywhere, and as spotless as any town in Switzerland.

We have been in Ireland well over a week, and it's time for one
Jerpoint AbbeyJerpoint AbbeyJerpoint Abbey

An aerial view of the Abbey.
of us (apparently the snobby one) to fess up and apologize. The Irish (at least in rural areas) were anticipated to be the rednecks of Western Europe, a bit like Estonians displaced from Northeastern Europe to the far west. Well no. Like all Europeans, perhaps excepting the French, they are very friendly and helpful. These people are not rednecks. Apology tendered. May also offer a bit about housing. British housing, while very attractive, is a bit alien to us and closely packed. In rural areas housing in Ireland is very spacious with well manicured lawns and rather large single family homes.

The next post is a big deal-Skellig MIchael. We'll actually divide into two posts, one for the island and monks' habitat, while on the last you will see many, many fantastic puffins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kells PrioryKells Priory
Kells Priory

Another aerial view, on this occasion of the Priory.
St. Canice's Cathedral and Round TowerSt. Canice's Cathedral and Round Tower
St. Canice's Cathedral and Round Tower

Tower is adjacent to a forgettable cathedral into which we did not venture. However, this tower was constructed in the 9th century! Bird has repeatedly eviscerated her useless photographer for neglecting to obtain the shot of a 10th century church in Canterbury. Well, this fella is a century older there Bird.
Staigue Ring FortStaigue Ring Fort
Staigue Ring Fort

In the west of Ireland there are a number of "Ring Forts", which are largely circles of stacked stone where a local clan holed during conflict with another. This one was constructed during the late Roman Republic so a bit before Christ was born.
Ring of KerryRing of Kerry
Ring of Kerry

Bird directed a picture here during the drive and concludes it's cute, so you must view.
Ring of KerryRing of Kerry
Ring of Kerry

Same reason as the previous picture. However, here direct your attention a bit left of center at the water on the horizon. If you are skilled in this task a glimpse of Skellig Michael will be your reward. Much more about this island on the next blog.
Ring of KerryRing of Kerry
Ring of Kerry

Ditto reason as the previous two pictures. Here Skellig Michael is more apparent at the left.
Skellig Michael and Little SkelligSkellig Michael and Little Skellig
Skellig Michael and Little Skellig

Michael is the island in the back with cloud covering the top half. Don't worry if you hang around the entire island will be yours to view.


Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb