Ring of Kerry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
June 17th 2011
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we boarded the bus right around the corner from the hotel for our trip around the Ring of Kerry. What a gorgeous trip! We made frequent stops for photos, shopping, toilets and more photos. First we stopped at the Red Fox Inn. There was a traditional village adjacent, with thatched roof homes, shops, period furniture, even sleeping cats on the bed. Then off for another tour at a sheep farm. The owner talked first about the types of sheep from all over the world. As we listened, his adorable dog stuck his head through the fence to watch. Then as we moved over for the herding demonstration, these two dogs listened attentively to the whistles and brought the sheep down from the hillside. It was an interesting stop. Each of those two side trips was 5 euros per person. The sheep farm was especially worth it, don't miss it if you go there. We stopped for a marginal lunch in Waterville, where Charlie Chaplin was a frequent guest. His statue is erected on the waterfront there, and they have a Chaplin film festival each August. Heading back we passed beautiful points of interest including Ladies View, where the Kerry Lakes and mountains are visible. We heard about the Kerry Walk, where you can hike day to day and stay in hostels and inns along the way. Sounded lovely, but wet. This part of Ireland is so picturesque it would take a whole box of crayola greens to color it. Back to Killarney, too tired to go out pubbing, so had pizza and watched a movie filmed (supposedly) in Seattle, but it looked like Vancouver to me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb