The Dingle Peninsula circle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
May 7th 2018
Published: May 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

What a great Full Irish Breakfast cook David is.

We drove a tiny road up and over the hills behind us to Camp, on the n. side of the narrow peninsula. Lovely views and SHEEP all over. We meant to take the Conor pass but accidently took another and brought ourselves to the south side at Inch again. Oh well. Saw the pub where Antarctic explorer lived and worked.

That was the best weather of the day - as you can see when we are "in the clouds" the rest of the day. NOT RAIN = let's be clear about that.

stopped at stone aged "beehive huts" - went in 2. One had a "subterrain" passage to the outside. Very well fortified. PreChristian. We did see some referenced landmarks, but never saw the Great Blasket island, where islanders lived in amazing isolation until 1953. Visited the visitor center however, and got the idea. The one photo is the simple wood, canvas and tar pitch layer boat. There were a v ery well educated people - very poetic, writing many books and poems. Our favorite stop was the Norman church with full graveyard (still active - spoke at length to man and 2 sons - his forebears since 1600s are there and we guess his wife). Very ancient cross. The pillar is called an ocham stone - chiseled with 5th/6th C language we read about at book of Kells. The hole at top was where people sealed agreements by touching their thumbs together.

Got back to Dingle and tried Dingle Pub, where 5x national Irish dancing champ danced at 9:30, and served as waiter other times. Yes, he served us. Nice live music of guitar, accordian and violin, but we couldn't wait for the dancing - altho the TV monitors showed him on Britains God Talent, etc. david Geany I think.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb