But the Side of the Van says Adventure Tours....


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Portmagee
May 20th 2015
Published: May 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

DSCN1513DSCN1513DSCN1513

in the castle
We were supposed to take a boat over to the Skellig islands this morning where the 600 - 1200 ad monastery is located. There are 600 steps up to it. Well, the seas were too rough and it was cancelled. Instead we went to the telegraph point (where the first trans Atlantic cable arrived in Europe and hiked up to the point house. We could get a view of Skellig island from there but it is still 8 miles away. Still, the views were great. Next we went to the Skellig Museum in town and got more information on what we were supposed to see.

From there we drove to an old abandoned castle that we got to climb thru. We could see the kill hole where they could drop stuff in on invaders, we saw the "trip" steps (odd sized steps to confuse and trip invaders), .... It was cool climbing thru it and again the views were great. We then went to a peat bog and learned all about the bogs and why they keep things in good condition and how to harvest the "turf" which you can dry and burn.

Our next stop was supposed to
DSCN1506DSCN1506DSCN1506

in the bog
be this lookout over one of the beaches BUT... part of the road was closed so Patty (our driver) said he thought he knew another road up. Well, this road turned to dirt and he got out and was looking it over when Tim said "but the side of the van says adventure"...

So Patty unhooked the luggage trailer and left it on the side of the road and off we went in the van up the road. bump, bump..... but we made it to the top of the mountain and what views of the beach and the valley. Now, some of the rocks on the beach are green, everything is green. it's just amazing. Oh so the weather today, sun and clouds BUT.... no rain. shock...

Back down and no one stole the luggage cart and we headed off to the next beach about an hour away (oh yes, lunch was in there sometime). This beach was wide and we could drive on it and Patty did circles with the van and luggage cart. We stopped and Nicky and Tim took their shoes off and walked on the beach.. It was too bloody cold for me to
DSCN1487DSCN1487DSCN1487

at the point to look out at the island
do that. Then, Patty gave us a demo of Hurling, an Irish sport kind of like baseball, and lacrosse and soccer.... Next we headed to Dingle where we get to stay for 2 nights. I did the first blog and now todays so I'm finally caught up and in between Nicky, Tim, Shelly and I did a great dinner in the downtown area. The restaurant was recommended by the Michellen magazine for the last several years and it was wonderful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

DSCF6661DSCF6661
DSCF6661

ireland green
DSCF6648DSCF6648
DSCF6648

view from the hill we had to climb in the van
DSCF6643DSCF6643
DSCF6643

Shelly in the green castle stairway
DSCF6621DSCF6621
DSCF6621

The castle we explored
DSCF6613DSCF6613
DSCF6613

Tim looking out to sea
DSCF6611DSCF6611
DSCF6611

Skelling Islands
DSCF6606DSCF6606
DSCF6606

view of the point
DSCF6588DSCF6588
DSCF6588

us with the islands behind us


Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 58; dbt: 0.098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb