Castletownbere to Dingle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle
June 21st 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This was the very best sail that I have ever had. We averaged about six knots over a nine hour period and we were tipping over eight knots at times. This trip is a big semicircle and the winds changed perfectly to suit our course. We left Castletownbere about 0830 and arrived in Dingle about 1830. We started off with SE F5 which pushed us along really well until we passed The Calf. Then we turned almost due N and spent the next few hours looking at the Skelligs. Little Skellig always looks like the sun is shining on it whereas Skellig Michael always looks dark and grey. The reason is all the bird shit on Little Skellig. Saw lots of puffins as we passed Puffin island which is just S of Valentia. Rounded Bray Head and into Dingle Bay and the winds died off a little and we were down to 3-4 knots. Rain arrived and we lost both shores. Finished off the sail with a mile or two goose winging up to the approach to the harbour. Funghi was on welcoming duty as usual and we we shown to our berth by the very pleasant marina manager. We finished off a fantastic day with a quick pint in Dick Macs before finding some excellent trad in John Bennys. I remember the night that my friend Vlad played a ew tunes in the same bar......


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Plankton in Horseshoe HarbourPlankton in Horseshoe Harbour
Plankton in Horseshoe Harbour

By torchlight the plankton was amazing
The CowThe Cow
The Cow

The Cow, The Bull and The Calf are all just west of Dursey Island
McCarthys Bar CastletownbereMcCarthys Bar Castletownbere
McCarthys Bar Castletownbere

The famous bar. The very kind barmaid cleaned my donkey bite with whiskey and put a band aid on it...an angel!


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb