Thursday, August 7


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


[youtube=aGJmE0eOWXw]A jam-packed day with plenty of driving today. We set out early to the southwest headed for County Galway. We decided it was worth the two hours to check out what seems to be the favorite spot in all of Ireland for many.

We learned that Brian Og O'Rourke had been buried in a Ross Errilly Firary, about 30 km north of the city of Galway. This great warrior requested burial here (after he being mortally wounded in The Nine Years War) in what has been the most well-preserved of the abbeys and friaries we have visited. Some pretty amazing stuff, including a large tank in which they held their live catch of fish until they were ready to cook it up. It seems nobody knows exactly where Brian's body is buried, but one of the O'Rourkes from Rhode Island has carved a makeshift memorial into a wooden shamrock that gives a brief history of Brian's brief but valiant life.

From there, we headed down to Galway city. With a population of just 72,000, it feels more like 720,000. Perhaps it is simply due to all the tourists (stinkin' tourists!), but both foot traffic and vehicle traffic were heavy. Galway seems
Ryan @ Ross Errilly FriaryRyan @ Ross Errilly FriaryRyan @ Ross Errilly Friary

Yes...that's what it looks like.
to be a nice city with plenty of culture and history, but we both agreed we prefer the Irish countryside to the cities. In comparing the larger towns / cities we've been to, we ranked them as follows:

1) Belfast
2) Galway
3) Donegal
4) Sligo

We'll be experiencing the "rat race" that is Dublin over the weekend, so that should be quite an experience.

Anyhow, after spending the equivalent of about $13 for three hours of parking, we drove west from the city to the famed hills of Connemara. Many great Irish bands have their own versions of this old beloved song which, unfortunately, is about the bootlegging industry in this gorgeous region of the country. Still a catchy tune, though.

The drive was narrow and curvy (surprise!). The only difficult part is getting stuck behind the vehicles that are traveling at about 30 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone. Unless you pass them, they will single-handedly double or triple your drive time (which would pretty much take all day). So Ryan did a lot of passing while Kelly did a lot of gasping and bracing. Again, Mama Roark would have fainted very early on.

After
Fish TankFish TankFish Tank

Here's the tank in which the friars kept their live catch until they were ready to cook it.
seeing the hills, we headed back into Galway city for a traditional Irish dinner (Kelly had excellent shepherd's pie, Ryan had roast pork and potatoes). Obviously, the Irish have been known for their potatoes for a long time, and rightly so. They have just a little different texture here, and a natural taste that sets them apart from any other. A very good traditional dinner, followed by a traditional Irish music session with a casual gathering of local Galway musicians in the Western Hotel & Pub. There were nine musicians in all (guitar, lute, penny whistles, bodhran, accordian, Irish flute, and spoons), and they were wonderful. This was the real deal -- very authentic gathering of the locals. They were speaking the Irish language to one another between numbers, so that was very neat. Check out the video we've posted, and just keep in mind the audio leaves a lot to be desired -- they were a lot better than the video sounds.

We've put a bit over 1,200 miles on the rental car in six days, so we've seen a lot of the country already. One more full day here in the west, then its off to Dublin for our final two days. Thanks for keeping up with us!

-- Ryan & Kelly




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Claddagh ParkCladdagh Park
Claddagh Park

This is the site of the old fishing village of Claddagh, which is now best known for the rings that bear its name.
JFK Mosaic In Galway CathedralJFK Mosaic In Galway Cathedral
JFK Mosaic In Galway Cathedral

Yeah...they have a pretty high opinion of JFK in Galway. This tile mosaic was right beside a mosaic of Christ.
The Hills Of ConnemaraThe Hills Of Connemara
The Hills Of Connemara

Well, one hill of Connemara, anyhow.
"The Quiet Man" Bridge"The Quiet Man" Bridge
"The Quiet Man" Bridge

This little stone bridge out in the middle of nowhere was immortalized when John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara crossed it in the 1952 classic, "The Quiet Man." We just saw a tiny sign for it on the way out to Connemara, and pulled off the road.
Traditional Irish Music SessionTraditional Irish Music Session
Traditional Irish Music Session

At the Western Hotel / Pub in Galway city.


Tot: 0.949s; Tpl: 0.11s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb