Learning to Make Scones and Bread


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
May 9th 2023
Published: May 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We attended a cooking class at a private home out in the County. Katy had run her own shop in Galway for 15 years and 'sort of' retired. Sort of as in then started teaching classes out of her home and is busy most days. She and her helper, Valentina, organized us, told us how much to put in, how to mix the ingredients, then how to cut scones. After they went in, we chose the type of bread to make and did that. We got to taste the scones while the bread baked: hot, soft, tasty, perfect. We had taken a taxi out but the other folks who baked with us, a mother/daughter from Connecticut (the daughter had been a student here) gave us a ride back into town which was very generous of them.

After a rest (and maybe another scone), we walked over to the Cathedral, almost a mile, and wandered around for a good while. Lovely church--built beginning 1958, finished 1965. JFK had visited in early 1963, donated funds and was going to come to the dedication but was murdered first. They purposefully made it look older and it's the last major cathedral built in Europe. Mike bought a new rosary; his has been lost somewhere amongst all the medical/hospital stays.

Wandered back toward Eyre Square (our B&B is on a street off the square) to a hotel on the square for dinner. Stopped at the Galway City Distillery; they make vodka, gin, and their own tonic. Had a nice G&T in a beautiful setting then headed up to dinner at the Skeffington Arms Hotel. Had a good sauvignon blanc from Chile, a nice surprise. This hotel had a number of servers from Italy and elsewhere outside of Ireland. Mike had good mushroom soup. We've had very good veg soup several times on this trip.

Tomorrow's our last day here in Glasgow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our scones!Our scones!
Our scones!

We could make blueberry, apple cinnamon, or pear almond. I made apple cinnamon and mike made blueberry.
Eyre SquareEyre Square
Eyre Square

on this gorgeous afternoon!
Eyre SquareEyre Square
Eyre Square

JFK Memorial Park
The Rose Windows The Rose Windows
The Rose Windows

depict the Mysteries of the Rosary


Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb