Ireland Road Trip


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Connemara
April 29th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After tossing up how to get to Ireland with limited time we decided it was fast and less hassle to catch a plane from Edinburgh to Dublin. Our one week in Ireland consisted of 3 days in Dublin which was long enough, then 4 nights on the road.

Highlight from Dublin was the Guniness factory tour we did on the first day. This was a in depth tour consisting of everything you want to know about the production of the beer to the marketing side of the business. It was educational and we would recomend it to anyone who visits the city but all in the all the highlight was the road trip.

So off we set early on the morning of 19 April where we hired a car from Eurocar. Destination: Cork approx 270 Km from Dublin-

We headed south to Cahir, where we visited the Cahir Castle set in the mddle of the small townside. This castle had an interesting history to it and was one of the top castles in Ireland to visit. We went off this list (Cahir Castle is featuring in the article)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/travel-tips-and-articles/52100

We continued to head south on the highways with 120 km speed limits. Laura drove the entire way as Scott was no yet 25 however she enjoyed driving as we had a brand new ford focus, with it being manuel she had a great time! Arriving in Cork around 3.30 pm we found the little bed and breakfast we had booked a few nights beforehand. With the top reviews on Trip advisor we were lucky to get in as they said they were otherwise booked out for the next few months ahead. The owners we an older couple with children same age as Scott and I. They were so welcoming and we were made to feel just at home. We had a cozy room with an ensuite, and it had everything we needed, kettle, hair dryer the luxeries you dont get in hostels!! I was just at home. Location for this B&B was 10 mins walk to town so we settle in, had a nap and then headed into town to explore and try a restuarnat recomended by the owner.

Next destination was Blarney where we visited the Blarney Castle and kissed the Blarney stone. There was an entrance fee of about $7.50euro but was well worth it. The Castle had a cave underneath and some amazing views, the Blarney stone was all the way at the very top of the Castle.

We left Blarney just after lunch and headed for the Cliffs of Moher which was only an hours drive or so away. This was when we really appreciated having a car as the drive through the countryside was spectacular. Typical narrow roads with stone fencing and stone houses, just like a movie set! The Cliffs of Moher was a must do and we were glad we got there, again another part of Ireland with magnificent views. It was still a bit cold and not as many tourists as we thought there would be but they all thought Scott was crazy wearing his shorts.. Well worth the visit.

Next stop was Galway. We arrived at the city with no trouble finding it but what a mission it turned out to be finding the Bed and Breakfast we booked the night before. After about two hours searching and a lot of asking, we got there in the end. It was situated in the outskirts/countryside of Galway. We had a very nice private room and a big breakfast with eggs, sausage, toast, hashbrown and of course the traditional black and white pudding which we both loved! These Bed and Breakfast's really do make sure you feel at home and dont leave on an empty stomach. It worked out cheaper staying at a BandB rather than a hostel.

The next day we explored Galway city and headed back to Dublin to prepare for the following days travel to Portugal along with some warmer weather...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement




Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb