Kylemore Abbey, Westport and Knock


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Connemara
October 8th 2001
Published: September 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mirror ImageMirror ImageMirror Image

of the hills in the lake by the abbey
Monday started out with no rain to visit KYLEMORE ABBEY. Built in the 1860's, this was acquired by the Benedictine nuns in 1920 when they left Belgium in World War I and now houses a secondary girls boarding school. It was rather breathtaking when we pulled in the parking lot. I tried to get my camcorder to tape but no luck. I don't know what what was wrong & it ticked me off . So I lugged around a broken camcorder for the next 14 days with only 3 seconds of video from the cliffs. The abbey looked like a castle, which it originally was named and sits on the shores of the lake. The silhouette of the hills and the abbey was a mirror image in the lake. Just beautiful and so peaceful! Inside we only saw the reception rooms and then we walked outside and took a path that led to the GOTHIC CHURCH. The church was built between 1877 and 1881 and is made from green marble from Connemara.
We left and enjoyed a pretty picture stop at KILLARY HARBOR where the hills were an olive green color and the water was the color of the sky. The rain begun when we made a lunch stop in WESTPORT and then saw parts of the village, KNOCK which is known for pilgrims. Our last stop was at DRUMCLIFF on SLIGO BAY. The famous poet, William B. Yeats's grave was here as was a church and a gift shop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

so peacefulso peaceful
so peaceful

near the Abbey
posing posing
posing

Kylemore Abbey
Gothic ChurchGothic Church
Gothic Church

near the abbey
Killary HarbourKillary Harbour
Killary Harbour

more beauty


Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb