Troon to weymouth


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Howth
November 28th 2012
Published: November 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Aunt JoanAunt JoanAunt Joan

Even my auntie managed to get on board in scotland
We left Troon after a slight delay, when the water strainer had to be repaired. It was quite windy when we left but luckily off the land. We were heading for Stranraer. The wind was behind us, force 7-8 with a gale force imminent,not the best forecast to hear after we had set off! But the sea was calm and by 16,45 we were approaching Loch Ryan.

We sailed up to the marina in Stranraer after checking by phone that they had a place large enough for us...well the pontoon they wanted us to tie onto was almost impossible to get into with the wind, and at the crucial moment the bow thruster cut out, alan had been using it to stop him going onto a bank while we were reorganisng the ropes, there was so little room in the marina and it was blowing about an 8. We tried to ask them to cleat off the ropes, they were very kindly helping us to tie up, but with a boat weighing 23 tons, you can't pull it in against the wind by hand! Finally tied up, we took the dog for a walk and when we looked back at the marina, our mast was twice the size of all the other boats, not really big enough for us.



Next morning 4 am we left, it was still windy,. and our sail across to Howth was boisterous to say the least, a big wave caught the boat, rolled us over and I fell out of bed! Things flew around a bit and the dog cried. Still soon under control and tied up in Howth, a very pleasant place, with a marina a little shallow for us. The sun shone and we had a good walk with the dog in the morning.

15/6/2012We left Howth heading for Arklow. We sailled by Irelands Eye, an island sticking out from the land, and the cliffs were full of birds, wheeling and calling. The sun was out but by 1500 we were off the headland in shallow water and it was bumpy.

We went into Arklow up a river and tied up on a pontoon. The people were friendly, and that night we went to a pub in the town to watch the football. Ireland lost unfortunately but the pub landlady gave us all free food!

19/6We left Arklow motored in 5 k of wind to get to dunmore East. lots of races, lots of rocks, and navigational puzzles but by 1800 we were tied up in the fishing harbour of Dunmore EAst. A walk over the hill and we found a great pub/restaurant to have a meal and watch the football. All good fun. lots of live music in the pub, and singing.

20/6Sailed for quite a while, but then the wind dropped and so motored for a while.

soon arriving at Crosshaven, up another estuary., very pretty countryside, to tie up at salve marina, a few pontoons and a very friendly staff next to the royal yacht club. They could not have been more helpful.

Our friends Deirdre and Laurie came over the next day and it lashed. We went out for lunch with them, it was good to see them. We also took the dog for a mammoth walk up towards the estuary which she thorougly enjoyed. We went out to the local pub in the evening. We had been suprised by the huge economic problems of Ireland, in the estate agents window, the price ofhouses had beenslashed. There were half built estates, and for sale signs everywhere. But still the pub was packed and bustling. A very pleasant stay, apart from the lashing rain. and wind.

We met a nice couple on a nicholson and had drinks with them. it was good to swap stories

. 24/6 Crosshaven to Helford river Left at 12.30 in order to catch tide at lands end. Big swell, and then gradually as we got into deeper water it improved. Mostly sailed but then by 22 00 we were travelling too slowly so started motor sailing. The wind eased just as we were crossing the shipping lanes, By 8.15 in the morning we were passing through some fog patches off lands end, but by 11 oclock we were entering the helford river, 24 hours, and 195.4 miles, the dog was glad to go for a long walk through the woods.

25/6Motored out of helford after anchoring, on a misty murky morning. AS we cleared the Helford river we ran into thick fog, which lasted most of the journey to Salcombe. The visibility did improve and we had avery good mooring just off the town. What helpful staff they employ. The town is lovely, quaint, quirky, and after we had takent he dog out, i realised it was too late..The shops were shut! Nice dinner ashore and back for a long sleep.

26/6When we went outside the harbour from Salcombe the fog was so thick we could not even see the headlands. We were enclosed in thick white fog nearly the whole way across lyme bay and scary it was. We were almost impaled by a yacht that kept turning to port instead of starboard, we could see him on the radar and we were blowing our fog horn, but he was obviously lost and we only avoided him by putting the hammer down and blatting out of his way!1 Too close for me. The AIS was fantastic, so reassuring to know where those big ships are. But all in all a very exhausting trip home, eyes and ears strained to listen so closely. I HATE FOG!Arrived home in Weymouth 3.15 1800 miles this trip. well sailed dog.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb