Dublin Day 2


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin » Ballsbridge
December 30th 2014
Published: January 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We woke up today at 10:30 am again to catch the wonderful breakfast that was waiting downstairs for us. We enjoyed it in a timely manner, and by timely I mean until we felt that we had satisfied ourselves.



The plan for today was to either go to the Guinness storehouse or the Jameson Distillery, and we had opted for the Guinness Storehouse. I had been there already, but I didn’t mind going a second time because I thought it would be worth it for Adam to see it and also because they give you a complimentary pint of Guinness at the end of the tour, which is always a plus. We decided to take a taxi there because walking there would take about an hour and a half or so, which was not an option after the breakfast feast we had just had.



Our taxi driver ( I forget his name) was probably one of the greatest people that we met on this trip ( I think Adam would agree with me). He started talking to us and explained the history of Ireland, followed by his favorite spots to go see. He was so enthusiastic about these places that he offered to take us there for no more than 30 euros and still get us to the Guinness factory afterwards, so of course we couldn’t say no. Along the way to Phoenix Park (supposedly the biggest park in Europe) Adam noticed that the fare was set for 1 person instead of 2, and he politely pointed that out to our driver, asking if we would get charged for more than what he had offered. It was a necessary question, but the driver felt so bad that we thought that he was going to take advantage of us or something that he kept on apologizing with such a sincere, sorry look on his aging face…. Adam and I were both moved with how genuine and kind this man was. He took us to the park and the US ambassadors residence and even got out of his car to take several pictures of us without us even asking him to do so. Such an amazing guy. He dropped us off at the factory, and we thanked him heavily for showing us around and gave him 50 euros for his kindness… he was so happy that he got out of his car and shook both of our hands, jokingly telling us to be wary of how many pints we were going to drink, because Guinness sneaks up on even the most cautious people.



We blazed through most of the tour, Adam didn’t find it so interesting until we hit the sky bar and we were given our pints of Guinness to enjoy. It was a nice view at the top, so we stayed there for a while and drank our pints slowly. It had gotten pretty dark out already, so we both decided to start walking back before everything became pitch-black.



Before walking back to the hotel we stopped at the Brazen Head pub, one of the spots that our taxi driver had recommended. It was the oldest pub in Dublin, dating back to 1189 or something crazy like that…. We had another pint of Guinness each in there with a side of potato soup and a main course. It was unbelievably good, but expensive… I guess it is a tourist spot afterall.





We got back to the hotel an hour and half later because we walked, but it was a productive walk because I got to show Adam a lot of central Dublin, including Temple Bar. It was a great day but tomorrow is going to be even better.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb