A week to go in Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal
October 28th 2011
Published: October 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, I tried to send this note 2 days ago but as i am new to this blog site i think it may not have gone, so this is round two. Bear with me if you got it first time a this is repeat.

Hello all,
Today was one of those rare days for us this month in Ireland, with the weather being sunny and clear. After so much , and very unusual, flooding rain, we were blessed with perhaps the best day weatherwise yet, after almost 4 weeks here!

We drove SE of Muff to an area on the map titled Sperrin Mountains. The road ran along the side of the river valley and the views were stunning, farmlands, the winding river and little communities along the valley.

There are numerous ancient sites in Irealnd and we walked up to one titled Glenroan Portal tomb, dated approx 3000BC.

But the highlights were the farmlands and the wonderful views from the road, the 'emerald' fields and snowy white scattered sheep grazing and in the fields. And added to the white houses and large barns it was all very appealing and we had numerous stops along the way to enjoy it all.

We had coffee in the community of Plumbridge and were intrigued to see a farmer pull up to go into the little shop, the only one in the village, in his huge tractor, he just stopped it on the road and went into the shop. It wasn't a wide road! Village and farming life!

On the way home, we encountered a bonus: a splendidly preserved castle ruin complete with the remains of a once-lavish gateway. Built on a small hill around which a minor road now carries vehicles from one moderate-size community to another, it was fenced off & inaccessible to explore, but the view of it from the road was picture-postcard perfect.

This has to be one of a very few days when we had no rain at all. A memorable day!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb