Tory to Portsalon


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal
July 12th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 24
Departed Tory at 0900 and anchored in Lough Swilly at 1530. The wind was a F3 right on the nose so we motored most of the way at 4 knots until we rounded Fanad Point and turned into the Lough. It was from here that the Flight of the Earls took place in 1607. O'Neill and Red Hugh O'Donnell sailed away leav ing Ireland to the Crown. The visitors moorings were all taken with paddle boats and dinghys so we dropped anchor in 7M about 400 metres from a pier. It was a bright sunny day and the bay and adjacent beach were busy with holidaymakers. Kids in wetsuits were jumping off the end of the pier to the water about 3 metres below. We ate the remains of yesterdays pasta special and then plotted our next leg tomorrow. There can be 3 knots of tide off Malin Head so after much research we plan to leave at 0600 and pass Malin Head just before the tide sets easterly. It will be against us for the run into Portrush but we will have got the worst of it behind us......
Yesterday evening we took a walk to the eastern end of Tory. This is the highest point and the location of a promontory fort connected with Balor the one-eyed king. The place is spectacular. Clifff and coves and sea birds...... and we heard the corncrake again. There are rabbits everywhere. From here you get a wonderful view right along the island. We could see a large ketch approach the harbour. It turned out to be Celtic Mist..........once belonging to CJH. His son has now given it to the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group. She is en route to her new base in Kilrush having been up the east coast as part of the Tall Ships race out of Waterford. We met the skipper and the mate, Fiach and Gary in the hotel and later in the Social Club. Gary has done Ireland to spain solo and Fiach has been pretty much everywhere as well. Patsy Dan Mac Ruairi, the King arrived into the club and produced his accordian. He gave a lively rendition of 'The Banks'. Once aboard I set the alarm for 0600 but could not drag myself out of the leaba until 0815. We untied our lines and slipped away from Tory. Though we were only here for 36 hours it felt like we were leaving friends behind. This is a special place and we will be back.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb