Knock – Ballina – Sligo- Parkes Castle - Donegal


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal » Donegal
June 11th 2015
Published: June 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After being thoroughly spoilt by Lynne for breakfast we said goodbye and headed off to Knock, which was just down the road.



“The Story of Knock began on the 21st August, 1879 when, at approximately 8 O’ clock in the evening, fifteen people from the village of Knock in Co. Mayo, witnessed an Apparition of Our Lady, St. Joseph, St. John the Evangelist, a Lamb and cross on an altar at the gable wall of the Parish Church.



The witnesses watched the Apparition in the pouring rain for two hours, reciting the Rosary. Although they themselves were saturated not a single drop of rain fell on the gable or vision. There were fifteen official witnesses to the Apparition, most of whom were from the village of Knock and surrounding areas and ranged in age from just 5 years old to 74 years old. Each of the witnesses gave testimonies to a Commission of Enquiry in October 1879. The findings of the Commission were that the testimonies were both trustworthy and satisfactory.”



The Knock Shrine was huge with many things to see. We attended mass at the Apparition Chapel, walked through the Basilica, visited the museum which was fabulous and generally soaked up the atmosphere and sacredness of the place.



Off to Sligo for lunch. Well that was the plan. But plans can quickly change when wrong turns are involved! There was an accidental left instead of a purposeful right on the way and we ended up in Ballina for lunch. Very nice little town and we saw the other side of the mountain to what we had planned, which in itself was very pleasant.



Then we skirted the side of Sligo on our way to Parkes Castle on the eastern banks of Lough Gill. Arrived just in time for the last tour and it was so worth it. Restored and with a fabulous history, we were very pleased that the ladies from Oughterard suggested it. We found a roadside strawberry seller on the way so stopped for a treat, wow, they were like little drops of sugar, so sweet and fresh.



From there we headed to Donegal where we had booked into a guest house overlooking the town square which in Donegal is called the Diamond! Such a beautiful town. We arrived late and by the time we figured out our plan for the following day it was 9 pm and we hadn’t had dinner. It stays light until 11pm and it is so easy to lose track of time. Found the last place in town that was still open, a great little pub with a friendly barman. Had the most divine seafood chowder and the obligatory Guinness. Then back to bed to collapse, it has been a day with a lot of driving.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb