UK TOUR ON QUEEN ELIZABETH


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork
August 5th 2012
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 5th August



We had our tea and coffee just after the QE berthed in Cobh on a beautiful sunny morning. We had a nice leisurely breakfast and then disembarked for a lovely saunter around Cobh. It is only a small town so it didn’t take too long. It is very, very hilly but commands great views over the bay. We were invited to a memorial service in memory of those who died on the Lucitania and those who survived on 7th May 1915. Nicky’s grandfather was one of the survivors so it meant something very special to us both. A pipe band marched to the memorial with various dignitaries and the QE ship’s officers. Commodore Rynd was the first to be invited to lay a wreath followed by several others. A priest then led prayers and said a reading from Mark’s gospel where Jesus asks Peter to walk on water - oh he of little faith. We all said the Lord’s Prayer, received a blessing and then a lonely lament was played by a single piper. All very moving and emotional. When the service had finished the pipers processed back to their starting point.

A further walk around and down to the Heritage Centre, a look around and then back on board.

Tonight we are attending a cocktail party before dinner so it may be a little hazy again. Will catch up tomorrow when we arrive in Guernsey weather permitting otherwise it could be Cherbourg.













Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb