Ring of Kerry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Blarney
August 17th 2017
Published: August 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Ring of Kerry is a scenic drive around the Iveragh Peninsula in southwest Ireland's County Kerry. After the usual morning routine of an early breakfast, we boarded our bus for this beautiful drive. Because this is a popular tourist destination it was important that we leave early so as not to get caught up in all the bus traffic. As the narrow roads make it difficult for tour coaches to pass, all tour buses run in counterclockwise direction. It is recommended that car owners travel in the opposite direction. We stopped along the way for photo opportunities and stopped for lunch at the Scarriff Inn which had an amazing view. We arrived before many other tour buses so we were able to get in and out within an hour. That early start really payid off.

Patrick surprised us with an unscheduled stop to watch a Border Collie demonstration herding sheep. We were first shown the many different kinds of sheep in Ireland and what their wool was best suited for. Next, it was time for the collies to go to work. These dogs were bred to herd, so they do not make the best pets. It was amazing to watch these 2 dogs go to work. Very impressive.

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous. We passed through many small villages and towns. One such town was Waterville which was a favorite holiday spot of Charlie Chaplin who used to stay in the Butler Arms Hotel. They first visited in 1959 and came back every year for 10 years.

One of the extra excursions we signed up for was the jaunting cars, which is a horse-drawn carriage. After arriving back at the hotel, we waited for the jaunting cars to arrive. Each one holds about 8 people. Our driver, Cal, was a funny little guy, cracking jokes all the way. By the time we boarded our ride there was a steady rain. To this Cal quipped, "the rain showers only last 10 minutes," then he paused and said, "but it rains every 20 minutes." I guess that is about right. Back home, we say if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes. That saying has never been more true in Ireland. The sun came out shortly after and all was good....for awhile. He was an ex-jockey who got "busted up" and had to go into another line of work. Our horse was named Jack and he used to be a racehorse, very spirited. The jaunting cars took us through the Killarney National Park, which is huge, open 24-hours a day, home to over 800 deer. There is trout fishing in the lake that does not require a permit. Only if you want to fish for salmon. Also, one of the rules is that you cannot use any live bait. He said fishing for salmon is quite difficult.

After getting dinner recommendations, we decided to have dinner at Stonechat, a very quaint restaurant down a side alley off Main Street. When we were finished we stepped out into a pretty steady rain shower and by the time we got back to our hotel, we were all soaked.

Patrick had told us about a show in town called Celtic Steps and strongly suggested that we go since it was a very good show. Celtic Steps is a show of traditional Irish music, song and dance. One of the male dancers was a 7-time world champion and his routine was spectacular. The vocalist was superb, as well as the other musicians, an accordionist, guitar player, and pianist. It was
by far one of the best shows we have ever seen. The dancers seemed to glide across the floor on air from one end of the stage to the other.

This was an amazing day and also exhausting. We will be leaving Killarney in the morning and on to the Blarney Castle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement




18th August 2017

Good mornng
Hello to you both. I am loving your Irish adventures. Great way to start my day. Beautiful photos too. We have E & E for the weekend and Hanna who it currently lying on top of me. Everyone else is sleeping! There will be basketball games and training, double bass practice, cooking then a family lunch tomorrow for Tom's birthday ? Our weather seems somewhat like Irelands, but it is our winter! Can't wait till our adventures next year. Sending lots of love to you both xo
18th August 2017

Ring of Kerry
Love getting your comments. Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned. Our holiday will be here before you know it. I can't believe how fast the year is flying by,. Give my best to Greg. Miss you. :)
18th August 2017

At BB now
Greg says Hi ? At BB waiting for Eth's game. Under 12 Norwood Flames. Bit cold! I look forward to hearing about the Blarney Castle tomorrow ?
19th August 2017

Blarney Stone
Hello ? 2 blogs in one day. ?? It wouldn't let me leave a comment on the blog so leaving it here! Loved your description of the stone and seeing a pic of you. I can't believe you leave Ireland soon. Will miss my daily contact with you. Thanks for all of the info on Ireland, hope it isn't too long before we can visit and enjoy the beautiful scenery and the pubs ?Enjoy your last few days xo
21st August 2017

Ring of Kerry
Just getting to read last three blogs as I have had three long, long days. Such beautiful scenery to behold. The jaunting cars looks like so so much fun. Having a jokster for a driver makes it even better. Getting soaked after the dinner makes it part of the adventure. You will always remember the rain if it was sunny it would not be as memorable.
21st August 2017

Ring of Kerry
Just getting to read last three blogs as I have had three long, long days. Such beautiful scenery to behold. The jaunting cars looks like so so much fun. Having a jokster for a driver makes it even better. Getting soaked after the dinner makes it part of the adventure. You will always remember the rain if it was sunny it would not be as memorable.

Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb