Kissing the Blarney Stone


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Blarney
August 18th 2019
Published: August 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 18, 2019 – Cobh (Cork), Ireland – Weather: 64°F/18°C, clear sunny morning, mix of sun and cloud for the rest of the day, sprinkling of rain in am, wind 19.5 mph, humidity 59°



As we entered the harbour of Cobh, pronounced Cov, and one of Ireland’s largest natural harbours the sky was clear and a full moon shone over our heads. Cobh serves as the port for Cork and the surrounding area. Cork, the second largest city in the Republic of Ireland, lies slightly inland on the banks of the River Lee and takes its name from corcaigh, the Gaelic word for marshy. From its origins in the 7thcentury through to the 19thcentury Cork has flourished as a merchant center.

Cobh, as the port provided Cork with a gateway to the world’s markets. It also served as the last stop in Ireland for over 3 million immigrants who departed from Ireland and set their sights on starting a new life in the United States, Canada and Australia between 1848 and 1970. Cobh, then known as Queenstown, was the final port of call for the RMS Titanic on her ill-fated voyage. Two hundred + passengers joined the ship at Queenstown while only 7 passengers got off.

Today we opted for a bus tour that took us inland to the town of Blarney, where we all had the opportunity to kiss the Blarney Stone. On the way we did a driving tour of the city of Cork and because it was Sunday morning the streets were quiet and our big motor coach had no difficulties navigating the narrow streets.

At Blarney Castle we were set loose to wander the grounds and botanical gardens surrounding the Castle and those of us who wanted could climb the 108+ steps to the castle top to kiss the stone. I opted to join the line of human lemmings for the opportunity; B decided wisely to avoid it. The exercise from start of the line to actually laying down to kiss the stone took almost a full hour, and we were in a short line. Those after us said it took almost two hours.

At any rate I have photographic proof that I did the deed.

Back on the ground I made my way back to the nearby Blarney Woolen Mill to rejoin B and enjoy the complimentary Irish coffee. After returning to the ship and having our lunch we went ashore for a little exploration of the area close to the ship. There was a weekend festival happening so the streets and park were full of people enjoying the day and live music at a bandstand added to the summer gaiety. We sailed away under clear skies and cheering crowds on the shore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb