Cliffs of Moher, Rathbaun Farm, Galway and Marble


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » The Burren
October 7th 2001
Published: August 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Approaching the cliffsApproaching the cliffsApproaching the cliffs

notice the foot and mouth sign!
After an early 7:30am breakfast, our bus departed an hour later for the CLIFFS OF MOHER. They rise 668 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. On a clear day you can see across to the ARAN ISLANDS but we had a cloudy day with a little bit o' rain. There is a castle like structure built in 1835, at the top called O'BRIEN'S TOWER. We were lucky enough to see a rainbow in the distance of the Aran Islands, which we could see a little bit. My 1st Irish rainbow! We walked around and bought some postcards at the visitor center. It was crowded here but very majestic.
Our bus then took us up the CLAIRE COAST and also taking in the BURREN. We stopped for pictures at CORKSCREW HILL which is exactly what it is named. A road winding up a hill. We could also see GALWAY BAY in the distance. We passed by DUNGUAIRE CASTLE which was built in 1520 by the O'HYNES. We didn't stop although I wish we would had.
Next was RATHBAUN FARM where we watched a farmer shear a sheep and a sheep dog gathering the flock to go back in the pen. It was similar to our sheep farm excursion in SCOTLAND. We were then treated to morning coffee and home-baked SCONES at the 150-year-old thatched farmhouse. Delicious! Leanne especially loved the scones.
We got to spend a couple hours in the city of GALWAY after learning about the LYNCH STONE and how Mayor James Lynch Fitzstephen hanged his son for Murder. I guess you can't say he wasn't partial! Galway was a clean, pretty city and it was afternoon, so the streets were busy with a diverse crowd even though we had a little bit of rain. There was a street performer who didn't move for the longest time. We mostly shopped for postcards.
CONNEMARA MARBLE FACTORY, our last stop had some pretty jewelry with different colored stones. On our way to Clifden, we passed the famous BRIDGE where a scene from "the Quiet Man" was filmed.
We stayed overnight in the fishing town of CLIFDEN at the STATION HOUSE. There was a museum across the hotel but we didn't see it. We were interested in what was on television because the War had started.
We did go out on the town in Clifden to a couple bars. One was long and narrow and the bar was to the right. The 2nd one was down in a basement with mostly teenagers playing pool and couches to sit on. I don't remember staying here very long but I do remember walking home and acting goofy, taking pictures of Suzi and Leanne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Breanan MorBreanan Mor
Breanan Mor

Looking north
rainbowrainbow
rainbow

near the Aran Islands
O'Brians TowerO'Brians Tower
O'Brians Tower

on North side of the Cliffs
Galway BayGalway Bay
Galway Bay

is in the distance
Rathbaun FarmRathbaun Farm
Rathbaun Farm

sheep are herded by Buff the dog


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb