Ole' Desmond & The Cliffs (Day 5)


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Cliffs of Moher
May 15th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

im god?im god?im god?

im god?
Got up around 8 so we could get our stuff together, eat and get to coach station on time for today's tour which we are both pretty excited about. We also decided to change hostels for tonight and move to the Galway Hostel House which will save us about 15 dollars. Plus pretty much all hostels are the same so it's not too big a loss to leave Barnacles even though we did enjoy it. Our tour guide was an odd Irish fellow named Desmond who we estimated to be around 120-130 years old and spoke with an accent that I doubt even an Irishman could understand. I wasn't phased by this as I decided to just listen to music for the majority of the time on the bus and gaze out the window at the beautiful countryside. Drove through The Burren and checked out a few sites there (burial ground, old church, old castle, etc.) before heading towards the real point of the tour, the Cliffs of Moher.

These things are freaking spectacular. They stretch for about 5-6 miles along the coast and luckily right as we got there the rare Irish sun came out. Unfortunately any warmth we would get would be negated by the howling winds which are prevalent along these cliffs. Never the less, Josh and I walked up to the area and passed the point where it says it's too dangerous to cross (everyone does this) so we could walk right along the cliff edge. The views of the cliffs and the Aran Islands just out at sea were amazing so we spent an hour just walking along the path before having to return to the bus. All in all a nice little tour and definitely worth the time and money. Even had a nice ride back to Galway along the coast. After returning to the hostel we went on a nice run through suburban Galway before making dinner and getting ready for the night.

Split a bottle of wine out on the terrace and hung out with a couple of American guys who just arrived in Ireland to work for the summer. After that Josh and I walked down to where the action was and went into an absolutely packed pub called Taafeys to listen to an Irish band and have a couple of pints. From there we went to the King's Head
ATLASATLASATLAS

atlas
to pretty much do the same thing. All in all a pretty good night and a great day. Shipping out of this hostel tomorrow as it appears we are going to be couch surfing here in Galway for a night before returning to Dublin. Slán go fóill.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ireland!ireland!
ireland!

ireland!
nooooonooooo
nooooo

nooooo!
who cares?who cares?
who cares?

who cares?


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb