Austrian and Hungarian Countryside


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Western Transdanubia
April 8th 2010
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

During our stay in Sopron, we decided to hire a rental car to explore broader Hungary and Austria. This proved to be quite a challenge due to the language barrier and that there was only 1 rental place within Sopron. We hired a rather rickety Ford Mondeo for 30,000 HUF (about $70NZD per day) from a eccentric Hungarian covered in tattoos, with a dreaded mullet, and a pet monkey. I was pretty sure that either the car was his own personal car, or that he was a mechanic and this was a customer’s car. Nonetheless the car served its purpose!
There were many attractions and small towns surrounding Sopron, we decided to visit Eisenstadt, Rust, Fertod, and Fertorakos. All of these destinations are also available by bicycle along the well developed cycle paths. I envisage that these would be great tracks in the summer months, they are flat, paved and away from traffic.

Eisenstadt
Eisenstadt is slightly over the Austrian border and is home to the composer Joseph Haydn. The city also boasts Esterhazy Palace which was and still is the focal point of the ‘courtly music culture.’ The building is covered in small sculptures of heads pulling faces…just like our modern version of emoticons…I found it kind of creepy. You can enter the palace, for approx 10 euros, we decided not to go in. Eisenstadt also has lovely buildings, baroque churches, gardens and Europe’s biggest glasshouse (Abe Gray paradise).

Rust
Rust is also slightly over the Austrian border and is beside the Ferto Lake. The little town of Rust is known for its stalks. The locals have specially made nests attached to their chimneys to attract stalks; I couldn’t help but think that in winter the locals must partake in roasted, smoked stalk. Stalks are big with big becks, and I was sure I was a prime target for a delicately aimed stalk poo (which I am sure would be like a meat pie landing on your head), so I didn’t like the stalks much.

Fertorakos
The main attraction in Fertorakos is the quarry that is now an amazing open air theatre. There is also a small walk up the hill where there are modern rock sculptures dotted in random locations. It also provides a great panoramic view of the Austrian countryside.

Fertod
It was bitterly cold on the day we decided to drive to Fertod, so our adventuring was minimal. At Fertod boasts the Esterhazy Palace (No2). It is very impressive and far more substantial than Esterhazy Palace (No1). Again you can enter the palace for a fee but we declined to do so. It is also the place where I discovered Hungarian garlic crème soup and chestnut pancakes. YUM!

All of these places provide well for laid back sightseeing without a rush, and could comfortably be seen in 2 days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



22nd April 2010

Small Village
I am looking for the village of Iszke or Izske (uncertaibn of spelling. My mother Elizabeth Fekete grew up there. Is there a small write up on this place? I am most interested in any information you may have on this village. Thank you Blanche (Blanka) Robey
22nd April 2010

Small Village
I am looking for the village of Iszke or Izske (uncertaibn of spelling. My mother Elizabeth Fekete grew up there. Is there a small write up on this place? I am most interested in any information you may have on this village. Thank you Blanche (Blanka) Robey

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb