D+51 Mako (Hungary)


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Southern Great Plain » Szeged
August 18th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have just stopped at a little town just short of the Romanian border. Although today we have only covered a short distance it has been an epic. If you classed Hungarian roads in climbing terms they would be at least V Dif. They are littered with pot holes or very high ridges where the traffic has caused ruts in the melting tarmac. Cycle paths are about as smooth as the tracks on Woodbury Common and the drivers drive like crazy. You really have to have nerves of steel when riding on the main highways.
Anyway we had a good time in Budapest. We found a half decent hotel and had the Hungarian version of 'Fish and Chips' - actually it was the best meal we have had in here. We are both doing fine but Joy has had problems coping with the heat. Cycling out of Budapest was a nightmare. The temp reached 40 degrees and we had to cover 65 miles to the next camp site. We had to stop in every village to top up our water bottles - 20 minutes later the water was so hot you could make a cup of tea from it.
We are definately off the tourist trail now. We have hardly seen any other cyclists or other tourists since we left Budapest. We don't expect that to change when we get to Romania.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st September 2008

Oh Bearded one thou looketh splendid!
Lofty, love the site, admire the fortitude and am jealous of the freedom!!Hope you two are well, no change back at the Arms. May have to pop out and visit you en route! Love to Joy and get a razor or Colin Grice will be on your back!!!

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb